Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tenders - anyone use 'em?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Great Gazoo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery Tenders - anyone use 'em?

Went running out to the garage yesterday to go out on the bike after having been away on vacation for 4 weeks. Opened the door to the garage and there she was all shiny and bright, just like I left her 4 weeks earlier. Slap on my lid, my gloves and throw my leg over. Its feeling real good and I'm thinking, should I go down by the water or just hit the highway. I turn the ignition, wait and hit the start - click, click, click; DEAD BATTERY . %@#!& - had to pull out the booster cables...

Anyone use battery tenders when leaving the bike for weeks at a time? Any particular models or makes...?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:24 AM
wildrooster
Tourer

oh yeah I rely on the one I have.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:32 AM
vheflin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the HD supersmart battery tender. While out of the country for four months this year I left it hooked up to the fatboy. When I returned, the bike started right up. My only issue was with the tender itself. There are three screws which hold it together and due to the heat I believe the plastic had become weak and two of the posts inside the tender which the screws go into were broken off. I took it apart and superglued them back on and reasssembled. No further issues yet. It is model 021-0123. Part number 94654-98A

Old 08-29-2010, 08:33 AM
italfatboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Great Gazoo
Went running out to the garage yesterday to go out on the bike after having been away on vacation for 4 weeks. Opened the door to the garage and there she was all shiny and bright, just like I left her 4 weeks earlier. Slap on my lid, my gloves and throw my leg over. Its feeling real good and I'm thinking, should I go down by the water or just hit the highway. I turn the ignition, wait and hit the start - click, click, click; DEAD BATTERY . %@#!& - had to pull out the booster cables...

Anyone use battery tenders when leaving the bike for weeks at a time? Any particular models or makes...?
I use the Harley DavidsonTender/Battery Charger. Fantastic! They charge, then automatically switches to float mode for long storage periods. They are basically built by Deltran. But it's the same price as the Harley one (Model 99863-01B) $69.95 U.S.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:44 AM
2wheels4ever
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use one all the time. Got it from Sears, so it's a Craftsman model.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Great Gazoo

No. Nobody uses them. Ever. Well, you asked.

They're not a complicated piece of equipment, just shop around and get the best price. The one I use came from a sale in the lawn & garden dept at Sears and was marketed for use on riding lawnmowers. Just make sure that whatever you choose is a "maintainer", not a "trickle charger". You want a unit that works like a thermostat--it only operates when the battery voltage falls below a certain point and it shuts off once the battery level comes back up. A trickle charger maintains a steady charge 24/7, even when the battery is fully charged.

Having said that, if you rode your bike 4 weeks ago, it should have fired right up. An 08 shouldn't need a new battery yet (I still have the OEM in my 06) but who knows.

Last edited by Sharknose; 08-29-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:14 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

battery tender jr., I think it was 29.00 at PepBoys. I plug in anytime the bike wiil be sitting more than a couple of weeks. The battery lasts longer when is kept fully charged.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:59 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 631 Posts

--- yep ---

Old 08-29-2010, 10:10 AM
rabzdok
Advanced

Yep! I use the HD Battery Tender Jr. on both my Ultra and Heritage.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Figstr
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20 bucks at Walmart. My Indy told me about em. Does the job.

Quick Reply: Battery Tenders - anyone use 'em?