Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 FLST Heritage seat questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:33 AM
jrudicel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 FLST Heritage seat questions...

I have the base model Heritage...not the Heritage classic. Anyways, the passenger seat is removeable as you can see in my pic. The rider seat is attatched via two nuts you can take off by hand that attaches the seat to the rear fender...not the frame like a classic. Rear fender has 2 studs sticking up through it and the seat has a metal piece on the rear of it with 2 slots.
I am considering different seat options and I am wondering if this is the only model bike that mounts this way? Or is a Springer or Deluxe that way? Been looking at the Heritage Classic seats as they are wider and more comfortable than mine, but domt think they would cover the holes in the fender without using a bib. Want to be solo most of the time with ability to add a pillion fairly quickly and easily.
Just thought the mounting system on my bike was wieird and wondered if any other models are like this... Thanks.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:45 AM
mmarsalone
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2006 FLST Heritage seat questions...

The Deluxe is the ssame way. It has two studscoming up from the fender.

Mike

Old 09-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Mikester48
Advanced

I don't know what other bikes have the same seat mounts. But I just put on a Mustang seat and it mounts differently, it mounts with two bolts into threaded holes in the frame on either side of the seat. The threaded holes are already there, but have a plastic plug in them. Now the problem is what to do with the two holes behind the seat if you run a solo seat like I do. I just bought some large black rubber washers and used the seat studs to hold them in place to cover the holes. It doesn't look good , but I haven't come up with a better solution yet. I think most softail seats mount like the Mustang with a bolt on either side, but I'm no expert.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:26 PM
lapisblue
Tourer

All I did was place a piece of Black tape over the holes....My bike is Black so I can get away with it.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:35 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

if its like the deluxe and the two bolts come up from under the fender and it has the two plastic disks on the top side holding it i place when you pull the two plastic disks off the bracket with the two bolts on it will fall out under the fender and it is not easy to put back. The heritage seat should fit. I have one on e bay right now with 11 miles on it with the pillion also. on the deluxe the bracket is the way i described it. the heritage and also the deluxe seats should fit your bike if you can send a picture of the fender where the bolts are i could probably tell you for sure. here is a link to my seat
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLE...spagenameZWDVW

Old 09-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Mikester48
Advanced

Yeah, that bracket under the fender is a pain to reinstall. It also is secures some wiring under the fender. I don't know if the wiring will drop down and contact the fender if you remove the bracket, but if you have removed the bracket you might check. I decided it was there for a reason and re-installed mine.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

More holes on the top of the fender!!!???!!!

Dang! Does H-D just deliberately change a perfectly good design of just a couple bolts on the frame, to force a guy to have to buy more stuff just to do some customizing.. So now if you want to go with a solo seat, you've got to either cover up two holes or completely swap out the fender!!?? Am I overreacting? The moco does NOTHING by mistake. I'd understand if the design idea was to eliminate the holes on the side of the frame for a cleaner look if you installed a skinny seat, but I suspect it's all about more accessory or paint set cash. Unless there's some real design reason, I call foul.

Ok H-D, if you guys are monitoring this... If the worst is the case and this was just to "encourage" a new custom fender sale or some other chrome doodad just to install a solo seat without gaping holes ontop of the fender.. That is why the next scoot is either a custom build (with a fat non-HD S&S with some serious cubes, or a vic).. Maybe it's just Friday and I'm tired.. But this just strikes me as shady.. a low blow on the scale that I'd expect from a US carmaker.. and I reacted to that a long long time ago.

Having said that (maybe I shouldn't have) , but if it's sure enough an honest engineering change that had to be made.. then I'd apologize.. but I can't see how... It could be one of three reasons.

1. The holes mean to clean it up you gotta buy a fender or the latest accessory, meaning more $$ spent at your local HD dealer.
2. The holes were for some kind of new engineering breakthrough or safety regulation or verifiable improvement.
3. Some numbnut thought it might make sense who just started drawing on CAD systems at the moco and it slipped through the cracks. (not likely)

ranting done.. sorry guys.. TGIF!! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]