Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage One Download

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Avalanche123
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage One Download

Ok I've searched and I am still unclear so be patient with my question...yes I am newbie.

I have a 2010 Fat Boy Lo and I just got Vance and Hines Big Radius pipes put on with an SE Heavy Breather. The HD dealer did it and it included a stage one download from HD. Now during hard deceleration, I get the odd popping and almost a gurling sound (kinda cool actually) and I am wondering if this is normal? If not, do I need a different fuel remapping done other than the HD one I got?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The download is practically worthless and most have not had great success with doing it. You probably will need to add a tuner of some sort to get the bike to run correctly. There are several you can choose from: V&H Fuel Pak, Thundermax, SEST and a few others. If you're not going to do motor mods the Fuel Pak will probably do what you want for the least money. If you're going to add cams or other motor work then use one of the others.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:33 PM
SoCalH-D
Tourer

Perfectly normal.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

As far as I know the stage 1 download is not even offered by Harley any more at least in NY.The stage 1 down load does nothing to richen your fuel mixture which is what you need when doing pipes and a high flow AC.Thats why your bike is running poorley.The stage 1 download advances your timing and raises your rev limit a little.As stated before it is practically worthless which is why they dont offer it anymore.I think your HD dealer kinnda jacked you a little I would go back and ask them about it.Right now you are most likley running pretty lean and with this heat that is a big problem.You can do severe engine damage this way.I would check into this ASAP.Good Luck

Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 AM
doghair
Road Warrior

For whatever it's worth, I have the Fuel Pak and the scoot runs excellent. A lot of people bad mouth it but for me it was comparatively inexpensive and does what it supposed to (I could care less about a dyno). I asked several people about the download both at and away from the dealer and didn't receive one recommendation for it.

If I continue down the upgrade road I will probably upgrade the Fuel Pak as well but it has been awesome for what I have currently. (being the SE A/C and 2:1 Roadhouse pipes).

Free $0.02

Old 08-24-2010, 10:15 AM
jbg
Road Warrior

I've got the FuelPak on both my current bikes and had it on my Sportster. If you're not gonna do more than the Stage 1, I recommend it as well. Easy to install and does what you need.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Avalanche123
Cruiser

Hmmm good feedback. I will give my HD dealer a shout and see what he says... Sounds like I need to have my fuel system looked at.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:57 PM
abnchiefcw3
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the same setup as you (Fatboy lo with V&H Big 2into1 with the SE Heavy Breather)

I opted for the SE Super Tuner and Dyno. Mine does the same as yours after hard deceleration (Going from like 70 to coasting to 40 or so). Thinks it's just a Harley Thing.
From what I was told Harley keeps it a little mild to pass emissions - and maintain warranty. Mine runs great.

Attached Thumbnails Stage One Download-100_6732.jpg   Stage One Download-100_6733.jpg  
Old 08-24-2010, 05:20 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by abnchiefcw3
I've got the same setup as you (Fatboy lo with V&H Big 2into1 with the SE Heavy Breather)

I opted for the SE Super Tuner and Dyno. Mine does the same as yours after hard deceleration (Going from like 70 to coasting to 40 or so). Thinks it's just a Harley Thing.
From what I was told Harley keeps it a little mild to pass emissions - and maintain warranty. Mine runs great.
Abnchiefcw3 - where'd you get your black trim ring for your headlight? You have it powerdercoated yourself?

Old 08-24-2010, 06:24 PM
whit42
Advanced

I went from a stage 1 download to a tuner (sert) on my Heritage, and have to admit that I noticed a big improvement in the throttle response. Much quicker and smoother. Good luck with the ride.

Quick Reply: Stage One Download