Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 06:23 PM
badinc1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets

I've raced motorcycles for years, going back to 1973, and have rode motorcycles since 1968, and I won't get on a motorcycle without a helmet, as I've learned the hard way on what a helmet can do for you when and if you ever crash.
That being said, I have a Black 2000 Harley Davidson "Deuce" custom bike, and I am in need of a new helmet, as my Candy Apple Red full coverage Shoei Multi-Tech modular is now too big for me. [I lost 205 pounds in one year !]
What kind [style/make/color] would you suggest would go good with this bike and for safety ? [Bike is Gloss Black with Red Pinstriping]
Thank you for your suggestions and input.
Bobby.

Last edited by badinc1; 08-22-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:31 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you LOST 205lbs???? Holy hell man, congrats. If you want a half shell, there's a ton of them out there right now. From what I've read on here, a lot of guys say the Daytona half shells are pretty low profile and look decent. You can get most of them in gloss black, and maybe get some red pin-striping done on it to match the scoot.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:35 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If you are trying to match the helmet to the bike ....
... well it's a Deuce. You need to get a 35 dollar novelty helmet

Old 08-22-2010, 07:09 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you liked the modular why not get another one in black. One that fits your beetlejuice head or course.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:54 PM
badinc1
Cruiser

I want one that is both D.O.T. approved, and will fit the style of the bike.
I wear helmets for safety, but would also like it to match the looks of what I'm riding.
I wear prescription eyeglasses so if I went with an open face helmet, I would need some kind of goggles so my eyes wouldn't water-up on me.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think a full coverage helmet goes more with a crotch-rocket than a cruiser, although I do like the protection and lack of wind [and bugs in might also say !] in my face with the full coverage helmet.
Would I be better off with a black open face and some kind of goggles over my glasses, or a half helmet with some kind of glasses ot goggles that could go over my glasses ?
How much protection does a half helmet offer ?
Maybe your right, and I should just get another full coverage helmet in Black ?
I got hurt in an accident and became permently disablied, and gained a lot of weight from the meds and not working.
I was so afraid of coming down with dietbities, [common with overweight people] and have seen what relatives and friends went though before they died, that I said to myself that noway do I want to go though that, and I has stomach Gastric By-Pass done.
I'm doing great with it and not cheating at all, which is the key of success.
I feel a whole lot better now. I went from being 225 pounds to 396 pounds to now 195 pounds.
Bobby.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:56 PM
badinc1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cromagnon
If you are trying to match the helmet to the bike ....
... well it's a Deuce. You need to get a 35 dollar novelty helmet
Yeah, but head is worth more than $35 dollars, and I also want safety, as cars and motorcycles don't mix.
I've had my full share over the years of close calls, and I want to be protected if something happens.
Bobby.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would look at protection first...style second....
I would think that a Shoei Modular in gloss black would be a good choice....
then if you wanted you could have someone add a red pinstripe to match your bike...

CC

Old 08-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Cav Cop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Arai Corsair V full face. I wear glasses and it was designed for those who wear glasses. The cost is high, but it is a well made helmet DOT and Snell rated.

I have a half helmet for local short rides (H-D), a modular for longer rides (H-D), and a full face (Arai). I dont think I will buy another modular helmet as it seems a waste for me and not that safe in the chin area.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:56 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

HD has a nice FXRG Kevlar/Carbon full face helmet ...

I'd do what Cheesecake says, get a full face and add a pinstripe to match the bike.

For me, living here in Malaysia, a country with one of the highest accident rates in the world, I got myself a bright yellow Shoei. I don't care what they think, I want them to notice me in traffic, especially the traffic here ...

Old 08-23-2010, 06:03 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by badinc1
Yeah, but head is worth more than $35 dollars, and I also want safety, as cars and motorcycles don't mix.
I've had my full share over the years of close calls, and I want to be protected if something happens.
Bobby.
How about your face?. If you're really interested in safety you'll get a full face/mod and not worry about making a fashion statement on your Deuce.

A DOT half helmet which I wear most of the time offers very limited protection. Probably only good for a low speed tumble off the bike. But I wear it because it's comfortable, not because it looks more cool than a full face (which I also have along with a 3/4).

Quick Reply: Helmets