Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:32 PM
badinc1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheesecake
Dude.... I hate to be the one to break it to you but these a**holes are not your friends....
Life is to short to hang with people like that.....
I would rather ride with a squid on a crotch rocket than some dork that doesn't want to be seen with me because of what I wear....

CC
I know.
When I ride with just one of them, we ride together. But when he's with all his other Harley riding buddies, it's like he doesn't want to be seen with me when we're riding. Him and his buddies will ride about 1000' feet behind me and won't pull up beside me at lights and stop signs.
We're best of friends when we're not riding. And when we stop for breaks, everything is cool, but when we ride in a group, him and his other friends won't ride up with me. It's like we're two different bikers or groups and they don't want to be associated with me.
I know what your saying and I agree totally.
Real friends wouldn't pull that kind of crap.
But he never wears a helmet unless it's cold, and all his other friends don't wear helmets, and he wants to be "cool" like they are.
Like I've said, I've done too much motorcycle racing to know first hand to see the benifits of wearing not only a helmet, but all riding gear.
Granted, I don't wear full leathers when I ride my Harley, but I will wear my Helmet, Gloves, and Leather coat nomatter how hot it is outside. I just want to fit in with the rest of the guys, but I don't want to look like a some dork riding a Harley, but at the same time, I want to be protected when I ride. The full coverage type helmets go more with rice rockets and touring bikes type bikes than what you see with Harley riders. But I mostly see Harley riders around here anyways wearing no helmet or any type of riding protection.
I had a good friend when I was a kid, and his Dad was both a lawyer and a Town Judge, and I remember one time he had a client who had crashed on his motorcycle. He of course had to research everything about motorcycles and riding gear, and found0out that a regular pair of blue jeans would wear though on pavement in about 2 seconds, then the pavement would wear into your skin. That says a lot right there on what can happen if you go down, with in these days of cell phones and texting, can happen at any second, nomatter how carefull you ride.
Bobby.

Last edited by badinc1; 08-24-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:38 PM
badinc1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
I second the Bell 500...its on my to get list...

I've been looking at that Bell Helmet, good Bell Helmet protection and the prices of these are sure cheap enough.
I don't know if I would get the Black to match my bike, or the Red which looks so cool, or the White which would be cool [as in inside helmet temp.] wearing. I'd still would have to have some kind of goggle to wear over my glasses. Maybe a bubble goggle of something ?
I just don't want to look like some dork riding a Harley, but I want good protection when I ride.
Bobby.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:08 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Bell Custom 500 , they make it black and white, and metalflake.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:10 PM
badinc1
Cruiser

The Bell Custom 500 is old school and fits the style of my Deuce.
Just don't know if I should go with one of these, as I do wear prescription glasses, which aren't very aero-dymanic and makes my eyes water badly, and I would need some kind of over-glasses goggle to go with it, or should I go with another full coverage helmet which isn't the same kind of style for the bike, but offers more protection ?
Bobby.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:22 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I used to wear goggles over my rx , but then switched to lenses.
I put goggles once over my glasses cause I was lazy, and could not believe how much peripheral vision I lost ?.. I will never ride again without lenses, end of story, it is a matter of safety..
Lenses and some good (wiley X) safety glasses will give you amazing view and save your *** from the blind spot dangers.
Lenses do take some getting used to though ..

Old 08-24-2010, 08:21 PM
bunkerbeer
Road Master

+1 for daytona helmets....
google them, they are nice...
My wife uses the daytona and loves it. I still use my ACC (I know, recall...)

Old 08-24-2010, 08:29 PM
bunkerbeer
Road Master

Bobby,
If you ever ibn long island or in pike county PA ( the 2 places i share my time in) you are more then welcome to join us. I ride with a group of guys (about 20 of us) between no helmets to helmets. every one stays together... you seem like a graet guy. your pals are just D#$$%^s and D#$%s. I wont pay attention to them to much...

Old 08-25-2010, 03:21 AM
County98
Tourer

My wife's got a cool full face/modular from harley that has built in/flip down smoked shield inside it (think luke skywalker helmet). She feels safer in a full face.

I was always sporting a half helmet till a few months ago when I finally got REALLY sick of the wind noise. I am more comfortable with having a little more peripherial(sp?) vision and like an open face.

I picked up the Speed Soul Bell 500 that klf33 is rocking and never looked back. Love it.

Everybody will tell you to wear/look how you want and f&*k everyone else and they're right to a point, but I understand that we all want to feel cool and not look like a dork on purpose.

Just cause it gets uncomfortable to have my jeans slapping the $hit out of my calves doesn't mean I'm going to tuck them in my tube socks and ride around like that, lol.

I'm military, so DOT all the way. have no choice even if I wanted to. Pick out something you like and head out. If your buds seriously wont be seen with you, then take a hard left some day and go find some new ones.

Congrats on getting skinny. ride safe.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

***'em. Go to meetup.com and find another group to ride with. I belong to a couple groups and have met some really good people with a good mix of bikes and knowledge. And, they have taken me to places and roads I never would have traveled too.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

Arai Helmets

Quick Reply: Helmets