Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossbones Risers - Helicoil torques?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:10 PM
CrossBonesChris
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossbones Risers - Helicoil torques?

Putting my Nash Pudgy Midgets on the Bones and of course I stripped the riser threads trying to get them not to move. I helicoiled all 4 of them and have them torqued to 25Nm right now, the bars are still moving slightly. Does anyone know how much more I could torque them safely without risking stripping them again?

Chris

Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the helicoils, you should be able to tighten them pretty good.....

Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 PM
rowdy82
Tourer

Dont try to overtighten them, cut a strip of aluminum from a beer can and wrap it around the bar. For some reason the gimps wont tighten up without something to take up some space. I used drywall sanding screen on mine but most use the aluminum can trick. Mine are tightend down to 25ft/lbs with all 4 helicoils in also.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:40 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member

you should be golden if not go with wut ^ he said....or emery tape works best

Old 08-19-2010, 10:36 PM
CrossBonesChris
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys. I tried using safety grip tape originally like someone else had suggested but that was when I stripped them, hence the helicoils. 25Ft/Lbs is a lot more than I am at right now, it takes a fair bit of effort to move them, so I think I'll just increase the torque some more and see if that works. If not I'll try the beer can trick.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:32 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member

emery tape will work better ...you know the tape u use to scuff up a copper pipe before you sweat it together....

Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Sgt Sportster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In an attempt to fix my bars slipping on my Bones, I was going to install some drywall screen. Well I stripped out 2 of the holes. Just wondering what size helicoils I need. I'm over in Germany and apparently they don't believe in helicoils here, everywhere I went the just said to tap it. So I'm just going to order them online and wait, but need to know if anyone has a link to a kit, or can tell what size I need.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:01 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt Sportster
In an attempt to fix my bars slipping on my Bones, I was going to install some drywall screen. Well I stripped out 2 of the holes. Just wondering what size helicoils I need. I'm over in Germany and apparently they don't believe in helicoils here, everywhere I went the just said to tap it. So I'm just going to order them online and wait, but need to know if anyone has a link to a kit, or can tell what size I need.
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one riding around with heli coiled risers. I ordered my kit thru CarQuest, part # HC 5521-5. It has everything you need. However it is a tapered tap. So I just started re-tapping the riser, and when I hit bottom I backed out the tap. Then I took the tap to a grinder and ground the tapper off of the tap, then ran it back down to the bottom of the riser. Worked perfectly.

BTW: The risers I repaired are from a 1997 FLSTS. You'll want to confirm that they're the same thread & diameter as yours.

Last edited by PanHeadRich; 03-09-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:30 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

The above fixes (emery cloth, beer cans) are great, but heres what I do. Take a chisel and nick the bars in a couple of spots in the knurled area where the riser clamps ride. The nicked metal will bite into the rider and clamp and hold your bars where theyre supposed to be. Dont have to hit em hard, just enough to make a mark. If you dont believe me, ask Dr V-Twin. Took a forklift to pick his jaw off the floor

Old 03-09-2011, 01:36 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah, we did this to my old bars which nearly all the knurling had worn off of. We also helicoiled and it worked pretty well. The best solution is to get soem Carlini risers with set screws in them and their super fat bars, but this is a budget minded option.

Drew

Quick Reply: Crossbones Risers - Helicoil torques?