Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

washing my bike and found a bolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:40 PM
kirkw101
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default washing my bike and found a bolt

I bought my 05 fatboy used with 72k on it. The motor has been reworked, new rings,cam,balance bearings and a few other bottom end items. she runs solid. I've put just over 2k on it in the month I owned it.
The last 2 days I have been caught in the rain on my ride home from work so today I thought a bath would be good for him.

As I am soaping down the primary drive casing I see a bolt sitting at the bottom of the rear jug. WTF, I think to myself.

I get to looking around and notice a hole with no bolt. Top motor mount. Oh **** I say.

So what to do? I hate dealing with any service dept, just a bunch of thieves.
So I grab the manual and take a look. okay pop the back of the gas tank and screw it in. fair enough. and I'll be damned it was that easy.

My 11yr old son had to hold up the tank but no big deal.

Y'all ever find stuff while washing your scooter?

Kirk

Old 08-18-2010, 09:49 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

I've found bolts missing...but never been lucky enough to find it on the bike still. In fact one of the chrome tips on my pipes just fell off at a stop sign last week. Luckily I heard it fall. One screw holds them on. You really have to take a few minutes every so often and check the bolts and screws while you wash her.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:09 PM
kirkw101
Cruiser

I have always heard the old harleys rattle stuff loose but I thought the 88b would not do that. I guess I have something to do every sat morning now.

Kirk

Old 08-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Big H
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

At least you were able to find where it went quickly and painlessly.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:06 AM
VictorGisclair
4th Gear

I lost the hold clutch cover one night.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 AM
copsoldier
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never found a bolt but, after I washed my 05 Heritage, the shifter rusted up so I could not change gears. Here is how I fixed it. I removed the entire shifter linkage and greased the part that is inside the bushing with lithium. Then, I put one of those fancy chrome ($15) caps over the outside shifter spline. Now I better go check for loose bolts huh?

Old 08-19-2010, 05:19 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keeping your bike (and cars as well) clean is what usually finds these kind of issues. Good time to look for anything that might be in a tire too. I also just take some wrenches and do a quick bolt check from time to time. Haven't found anything yet except the oil drain plugs weren't in very tight. They didn't seem to be leaking or coming out though. They're fine now since I've done the last two changes myself. Like they say "it runs better when it's clean".

Old 08-19-2010, 05:53 AM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

That is why it is called 1000/ 5000/10,000/15,000 (ect) mile service and not an oil change and if you change any parts use loctite and a Tq wrench

Old 08-19-2010, 08:13 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 791 Likes on 384 Posts

Yup! I've found missing exhaust flange nuts before. Every third wash, I do by hand just so I can touch everything and see if I can find anything loose. Other washes are, spray on Bike Brite, let it sit a few min. then hose it off.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I lost a motor mount bolt in the past as well on my bike. It was sitting right below the motor mount hole. It was an easy fix and has not come loose since then.

Drew

Quick Reply: washing my bike and found a bolt