Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill Country Customs Springer apes installed on 2007 classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Reklaw31
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hill Country Customs Springer apes installed on 2007 classic

I just got done installing some HCC apes on my Springer Classic. First off, I have to say, the whole experience was great. I ordered from Brian and he was very helpful as far as the color scheme for my bike. I even sent him a picture and he gave me some solid advice based on his experience. I received all email confirmations during shipping and the bars showed up on time, wrapped up in foam and bubble tape. (left the foam on until install was done). Here is a breakdown of the install process. I am somewhat of a new bike owner (i've had me bike for 1.5 years, first one) and all I've done to it labor wise is install the exhaust system and a new air cleaner (took a while)

Total instal time with a buddy was 3.5 hours

I ordered the entire bar kit and opted for the stock HD wiring plugs (95$)

First step was to remove old bars, drain the gas and loosen up the gas tank and console. We broke the P.O.S plastic fitting fuel line so I had to buy a new one, which is much improved since 2007.

Once we had access to the wiring harness on either side we mounted the new bars and ran the clutch and brake lines (my buddy worked on this as I routed the wires and plugged them in.) We left everything on the bars nice and loose.

Once the wires were plugged in and we had the cables hooked up, it was just a matter of tightening everything up and bleeding brakes. We filled up the clutch and started her up. That was when we discovered the cracked fuel line. 2 days went by and she sat in the garage until HD was open and I picked up the new line. First ride was great and I couldn't be happier.

My intent for this post was not to give everyone a "how to," but just to explain how easy this process this was for someone who has very little mechanical experience thus far. Again, 2 people, 3.5 hours. Oh yeah, and the Renthal grips from HCC are awesome!

Total cost for entire setup was a little over $800, no labor costs.

Here are some pics! Sorry about the the background junk.

Attached Thumbnails Hill Country Customs Springer apes installed on 2007 classic-photo.jpg   Hill Country Customs Springer apes installed on 2007 classic-photo-1.jpg   Hill Country Customs Springer apes installed on 2007 classic-photo-2.jpg   Hill Country Customs Springer apes installed on 2007 classic-photo-3.jpg   Hill Country Customs Springer apes installed on 2007 classic-photo-4.jpg  

Last edited by Reklaw31; 08-18-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: forgot to subscribe
Old 08-18-2010, 07:54 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice man, I'm really wanting to swap bars on my scoot....

Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Forge
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Install

Originally Posted by Reklaw31
I just got done installing some HCC apes on my Springer Classic. First off, I have to say, the whole experience was great. I ordered from Brian and he was very helpful as far as the color scheme for my bike. I even sent him a picture and he gave me some solid advice based on his experience. I received all email confirmations during shipping and the bars showed up on time, wrapped up in foam and bubble tape. (left the foam on until install was done). Here is a breakdown of the install process. I am somewhat of a new bike owner (i've had me bike for 1.5 years, first one) and all I've done to it labor wise is install the exhaust system and a new air cleaner (took a while)

Total instal time with a buddy was 3.5 hours

I ordered the entire bar kit and opted for the stock HD wiring plugs (95$)

First step was to remove old bars, drain the gas and loosen up the gas tank and console. We broke the P.O.S plastic fitting fuel line so I had to buy a new one, which is much improved since 2007.

Once we had access to the wiring harness on either side we mounted the new bars and ran the clutch and brake lines (my buddy worked on this as I routed the wires and plugged them in.) We left everything on the bars nice and loose.

Once the wires were plugged in and we had the cables hooked up, it was just a matter of tightening everything up and bleeding brakes. We filled up the clutch and started her up. That was when we discovered the cracked fuel line. 2 days went by and she sat in the garage until HD was open and I picked up the new line. First ride was great and I couldn't be happier.

My intent for this post was not to give everyone a "how to," but just to explain how easy this process this was for someone who has very little mechanical experience thus far. Again, 2 people, 3.5 hours. Oh yeah, and the Renthal grips from HCC are awesome!

Total cost for entire setup was a little over $800, no labor costs.

Here are some pics! Sorry about the the background junk.
The $95 wire harness...so you didn't have to do any of the soldering? Just plug and play? Did you pull the tank all the way off?
Thanks
Forge

Old 08-19-2010, 05:41 AM
Reklaw31
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Forge
The $95 wire harness...so you didn't have to do any of the soldering? Just plug and play? Did you pull the tank all the way off?
Thanks
Forge
Yeah, the switches are already wired and ran through the bars, you can pay for the HD stock harnesses and its just a matter of plugging them in, no soldering.
As for the tank, you can remove it if you want, we just took the mounting bolts off, drained the tank, disconnected the EFI hose and the crossover line. Then we just pulled it up and back a bit to expose the wiring harness on either side. just make sure you know how to properly drain and remove the tank before you do this step. we just did it and thats how we broke that fitting.

By the way, the bars came with good'n tight poly bushings also.

Hope that answered your question.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:07 AM
akhenaten
Tourer

Those look awesome! Nice work, and appreciate the walkthrough. +1 brettnbama...I'm waiting to change mine also.