Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP. 2010 FLSTC Lowering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:17 AM
buick_81
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP. 2010 FLSTC Lowering Problem

Hi,
I have a 2010 FLSTC and bought the Arlen Ness Lowering kit 17-032 I know you'll tell me this kit is for 07-09 only but I contacted them and they told me it's ok for 2010. Lowered the bike 3" on the rear and 2" on the front. After riding the bike for 1100 miles I had a problem. When using the front brake before completely stopping the bike leans to the right in a dangerous way and make me lose my stability. I took the bike to the HD dealer in area and they 1st the checked the bike and said that right side of your fork suspension became soft so the weight is shifting from left to right while stopping. Then they took everything out in the front end and they inspected it. Then they told me there's nothing obvious with your lowering kit but we have to get back the old suspension on your bike (front side only) cause we don't have any another solution and I don't want to get back to my old suspension cause I really like my bike lowered.

Any suggestions?

Please help me...

Old 08-17-2010, 08:29 AM
buick_81
Cruiser

up up up

Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Wait until Progressive releases the mono tube fork cartridges for the softail and get those. That will allow you to lower it 2 inches and to have a nice smooth ride. I was at Progressive last week and they said sometime soon it will be released.

Drew

Old 08-17-2010, 10:31 AM
buick_81
Cruiser

check the item below:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

isn't it the same item that you're talking about?

Thanks.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

No, I am talking about a kit like this for softails. http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ube/index.html

Drew

Old 08-17-2010, 10:39 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Even if there were no springs in the right fork leg I dont understand how that would make the bike lean to the right. Both forks work together and you would only have a sagging or severe diving under braking . The right side can not go down before the left side to make the bike lean to the right IMO.

The fact that you said it was OK for 1100 miles and then started also seems like something else is wrong. Are the forks properly alined in the triple clams (not turned to the right), is the fall away correct and is the font tire to rear tire alinement correct?

Call or e mail ness for suggestions.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:40 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Maybe the amount of oil in each fork is not the same? Drain and refill!

Drew

Old 08-17-2010, 10:57 AM
buick_81
Cruiser

XARAN I agree with you but the HD mech. said that there might be a slight damage on the seal of the Arlen Ness kit's right side damper. But there's no leaking. Now he's insisting to return the original damper. and that'd cost me 3 hours labor.

DR. V-TWIN there's no leaking from the fork. The HD mech. said you might hit some ruff bump and the damper is damaged.

What do you think guys?

Old 08-17-2010, 11:17 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

If the right side damper is damaged I still dont understand how it can make the forks dive to the right. Your forks are bolted together at the axel and at the triple clamps, whatever one leg does the other has to do . So even if the right fork is not operating correctly the left leg has to move or not move with it.

I may not be understanding all of it but it does not make sense to me that one leg or damper in your forks could cause the bike to fall to the right. I can understand it sagging or locked up in a position but not making it lean to one side or the other.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:34 AM
buick_81
Cruiser

XARAN What do you think the problem could be?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: HELP. 2010 FLSTC Lowering Problem