Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to pay for a Softail Deluxe..Help the Newbie !

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:14 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Default What to pay for a Softail Deluxe..Help the Newbie !

I am currently riding a 900 kawi and want to trade it in on a new softail deluxe I live in NY on long island. I have been told that HD dealers all sell for MSRP and there is no negotiating off list. Just want to confirm with you current owners if that is case and can someone recommend a dealer on Long Island. The list on a new deluxe is $16,799 according to HD's website and 1 dealer told me there would be a $950 charge for freight and prep. When it comes to cars I know my chit but buying bikes is a new experience to me. So any help so I dont get screwed would be greatly appreciated.

Newbie Ed

Old 08-16-2010, 01:41 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all...I've never paid for the freight and prep. I'd negotiate that out. Second, you might want to look for a gently used one first? I got mine with only 700 miles on it and about $3500 in extras already done for me. Paid less than MSRP for a brand new one. Just a suggestion.

One more thing... don't be afraid to go out of state for it. You can get a great deal from a smaller dealer that needs the business more.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:09 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used is the way to go. Harley is way expensive new and most dealers will put up quite a fight to mark anything down from MSRP and they love to cash in on all the BS fees.

You are much better off finding a 05-06 or so and save a few grand or more. You can probably find one with some nice extras without having to pay for them yourself.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Tough luck being in Long Island ... the HD dealers there are used dealing with fat cat Wall Street guys looking for yet another garage accessory for their summer homes.

Guess your best bet is to go look in New Jersey ... or even further away where people aren't flush with cash like around New York.

When I still lived in New York, I bought my bike at Lombardi HD in Staten Island. They were the only dealer around NY who sold stock bikes, all the other dealers around there bolted some accessories on it and charged 20 - 30% over MSRP for "custom bikes".

Keep in mind this it's been more than 15 years ago so don't know what's happening now.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:54 PM
JPL17
Cruiser

I agree with the first two responses- 'buy used'. Thats what I did and I feel like I got a great deal. In May I found an 06 DEluxe with 900 miles on it for about $3500 below MSRP and it had a few of the extras on it but not much. My feeling is this way I can spend that $3500 on extras that I want to make it mine. But hey, if you have the cash and want a brand new one--have at it. I grew up back east in NJ but I can't tell you what dealerships are back there. Sorry and good luck.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:55 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

ive been watching ebay the upside to a dealer is trading my current ride vs having to sell it first !

Old 08-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with buying used. I bought my 06 with 900 miles or so on it also off of craigslist. It belonged to a woman who was very affraid of riding it and she only put about 300 miles on it a year, she had added about 1k in extras. The bike is in like new condition. Good luck in what ever it is you decide on buying, if you like it buy it...The deals are out there.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:48 PM
LRHD
Road Captain

New Hertage in CA is 19k +tax DMV etc for a total of about 22k!!! I just bought a fixed up 08 with 5k miles on it for 15k.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:23 PM
FrozenInTime
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

You'll get lots more selling your old bike than trading it in. Your pretty much *giving it* to them when u trade in. You'd have a bigger down payment.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:23 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got a 2010 deluxe this week. Don't pay msrp. Make them an offer of what you want and tell them to get back to you.

Originally they told me 17,900 and they would give me 8,000 for my deuce ( with new wheels, tires and pipes)

Final deal was my STOCK deuce and 6K . Then they swapped my pipes from the deuce>Deluxe added a fuel pack and took my Reaper wheels off the deuce so I could craigslist them.

Quick Reply: What to pay for a Softail Deluxe..Help the Newbie !