Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

open belt drive fatboy lo

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Mark R
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2006FLST
I agree. It really takes ALOT to destroy a 2 or 3 inch wide belt. A buddy managed to put a hole in his from a rock years ago. I think he still runs the same belt. They are very reliable systems that get a lot of negativity from people who have never even installed or ran one.
my father is a old time indy from over here in aus, he has told me off storeys of even when the stand has rubbed threw the belt and split them in 2, people have still run them and got good miles out of them

most 3 inch belts without guards will end up with rocks and stuff like that in them, u just have to check over them and try and get them out as best you can

Old 08-18-2010, 08:31 AM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
I'd love to put one of these on my ride. I have the Harley Goodies floorboard extensions which gives at least an extra inch to inch and a quarter. I'd imagine a 3" would fit! But...I need about $3000 for that PM one that I really like the looks of. Time to start saving.

Drew
Someone at BDL told me a 3" would fit if you space the boards out. However I don't know if he meant just the boards or the mount on the frame. I guess you would just have to take a look and see.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:43 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. It really takes ALOT to destroy a 2 or 3 inch wide belt. A buddy managed to put a hole in his from a rock years ago. I think he still runs the same belt. They are very reliable systems that get a lot of negativity from people who have never even installed or ran one.
They also get negativity from people that work on them regularly, like myself.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:33 AM
DocJ
Road Master

Not a very good close up pic but the only guard I ran was a custom made one around the front pulley (it is black if you can see it). The center guard was the only one I ran other than that. The only reason I ran the front guard is because I am short and my left heel rested on that guard.
Cool. Thanks for the photo! Looking good!

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
I'd love to put one of these on my ride. I have the Harley Goodies floorboard extensions which gives at least an extra inch to inch and a quarter. I'd imagine a 3" would fit! But...I need about $3000 for that PM one that I really like the looks of. Time to start saving.

Drew
$3k! Wow...these puppies are more expensive than I was expecting...hmmm...

Originally Posted by sniper77
They also get negativity from people that work on them regularly, like myself.
I was under the impression that general maintenance was much easier than the enclosed chain. What negativity do you wish to share?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 AM
2006FLST
Road Master

3K for that set up but standard drives are cheaper. I know your have a 2010 model but this will give you an idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BDL-2...Q5fAccessories

Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 AM
DocJ
Road Master

Wow...that one is STILL $1500! I was hoping that Dr. V-Twin had made a typo...

Well, I guess that settles it. This mod is one that is going to be definitely waiting at least until next winter. I definitely could not justify the cost at this point and time.

Guess I should add that to the disadvantage side in my comparison...cost to get into one. lol.

Thank you, 2006FLST. I appreciate you doing my homework for me.

PS - How'd you know my bike is a 2010? It's not mentioned in my sig...
EDIT: Colour...I get it. The silver with blue pin-striping was restricted to only the 2010 models.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:31 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my wife hates you guys so much....lol

Old 08-19-2010, 10:37 AM
DocJ
Road Master

I hate us, too. lol.

Is she going to let you do this mod? The more I think about it, the more I want it...!

Old 08-19-2010, 12:16 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my wife never "lets me" I always have to find a way to weasel it in. This would be cool, but its low on my list. First is a bar swap, then more cubic inches

Old 08-19-2010, 01:21 PM
2006FLST
Road Master

Originally Posted by DocJ
PS - How'd you know my bike is a 2010? It's not mentioned in my sig...
EDIT: Colour...I get it. The silver with blue pin-striping was restricted to only the 2010 models.
It says 2010 Crossbones under your name. Yeah those open belts are pricey. That is why I don't have one on my heritage. Most of the cost is the motor plate.

Quick Reply: open belt drive fatboy lo