Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curiosity killed the cat - or at least it is killing me!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:24 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Curiosity killed the cat - or at least it is killing me!!

Ok, you guys have got to help me help out my friend. I am usually on the dyna forum but I am once again looking for softail help. See, a friend of ours was looking to buy a rocker. Ended up not liking the price so he went with this beautiful night train. It's an 05 with paint scheme 10 out of 200.
My first question is does anyone on here have this paint? It is awesome.
Next question? This bike is a 6 speed. I didn't believe him. The specs say 5 speeed and I just didn't believe this friend - one of those jokesters. How is this possible? Does anyone know the background on this bike? It was a repo so there is no infomation on the owner.
The last and strangest question is - this bike is loud as hell and sounds amazing but it does not shake. My bob shakes, hubby's SG shakes, every HD I know of, at least the engine shakes. This bike is running and I am sitting next to it and the engine never moves at all.
I am just dying to know what could have been done to this bike. It runs amazing. According to dealer, has dealer download but that is all they know of. Hoping your guesses are going to be better than mine.
I know this is a lot to ask and a bit lengthy. Try not to give me too many obnoxious, sarcastic answers. It's been a long, hard day.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Attached Thumbnails Curiosity killed the cat - or at least it is killing me!!-vp1736284_1_large.jpg  
Old 08-13-2010, 05:36 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Twin Cam B found in all of the softails doesn't shake like the Twin Cam A in the dyna and the Street glide..

If it truly has a 6 speed it was put in after the fact...It's been done...

Old 08-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like he said......somebody probly changed out the 5 speed for the 6....have thought about it myself....reason it does'nt shake (also,he said^^) TwinCam B motor,has counterbalancers(weigh about 12 lbs)and the motor is rigid mount'd to the frame.....all the other bikes ,motor is "rubber mounted" and thats why you see the shake....far as loud? those pipes,probly is...may also have a fuel manager of some sort(PowerCommander,etc)....some are mount'd to the bike,some are not....dealer downloads are canned MAP's, and marginal,but ever once in a while, they'll load somethin' that'll work .....far as the paint number'd scheme(s)......fairly common with Harley on some models for a particular model yr.................

Last edited by Harleyrider_49; 08-13-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:56 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member

The absense of any motor movement just seems so strange. I mean, it is not just my dyna. We ride with other softtails - our other friends have fatboys and a custom - and their motors move. Maybe not as much as my bob but they definitely move. This motor doesn't move at all.
It just seems so weird.
I told him they painted over the HONDA name on the tank.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

What year softails?

Neither my 02 or my 03 move..

My 97 EVO, everything shakes......the thing is a blender....lol

Old 08-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
The absense of any motor movement just seems so strange. I mean, it is not just my dyna. We ride with other softtails - our other friends have fatboys and a custom - and their motors move. Maybe not as much as my bob but they definitely move. This motor doesn't move at all.
It just seems so weird.
I told him they painted over the HONDA name on the tank.
put some hefty cams in it (.600_.650 lift) do some headwork, and it'll move ........trust me...........

Old 08-13-2010, 06:06 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member

I guess as a dyna rider I might miss the shake and movement a little bit my I am really jealous. He can sit in a parking lot and his mirrors don't move at all. Like I said earlier, our other friend has 2005 fatboy and his bike vibrates and his mirrors shake like mine does - not quite as badly but they move. I just thought maybe there was some sort of something that could have been done mechanically done to make this bike so smooth. I sure didn't think this was just a softtail thing.
Now I am jealous.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
I guess as a dyna rider I might miss the shake and movement a little bit my I am really jealous. He can sit in a parking lot and his mirrors don't move at all. Like I said earlier, our other friend has 2005 fatboy and his bike vibrates and his mirrors shake like mine does - not quite as badly but they move. I just thought maybe there was some sort of something that could have been done mechanically done to make this bike so smooth. I sure didn't think this was just a softtail thing.
Now I am jealous.
Counterbalance'd,dude-ette...."B" designates it a balanced motor,internal....1 forward and 1 aft of the crank,chain driven.......if look'n at it run'n makes ya jealous......ya probably don' wanna ride it.......just say'n.....

Last edited by Harleyrider_49; 08-13-2010 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Whoopsy-daisy! Dudette, I mean......
Old 08-13-2010, 06:35 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member

No, I'm definietly driving it - tomorrow. Hope my husband is ready for a new purchase!!

Old 08-13-2010, 06:37 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats the 96B motor. Sounds the same, but doesn't shake. The pipes look like Vance and Hines big radius 2 into 2 pipes. They are pretty common now.

Quick Reply: Curiosity killed the cat - or at least it is killing me!!