Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shotgun Shock BIGGER compressor....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:49 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

Unbelievable support! I received my kit this afternoon, and while I would have preferred to have taken my bike down to JD and let him install it, I couldn't wait the several weeks it would have taken to arrange to head South and decided to tackle the install myself.

I read the instructions the other day, and read them again today. I received an updated set of instructions for the late-model Fat Boy, and he even hand-wrote some special instructions on the back of the page in case mine had the charcoal cylinder (which it did).

I had a couple of questions, so I called his cell which he had provided with the instructions. Since it rolled over to voicemail, I opted not to leave a message and figured I'd work through the install. Less than five minutes later, I received a call back from JD, and he spent the next half hour talking through all the little subtle details for the install - he had actually done an '07 Fat Boy earlier today, and caught a couple of tips to pass along.

Speaking with him, it is obvious how knowledgable he is, and how much pride he takes in the product. Rightly so, as it is certainly an extremely well made package and a lot of care and quality has gone into the design.

I told him that I had researched air ride systems a few years ago, and was pretty settled on the SAS but never popped the coin. When I resumed the research this time around, I was fortunate to have stumbled on some threads like this and it made the decision all too easy.

I spent a couple of hours getting the first part of the install complete, and will finish up the rest tomorrow... many of my tools are still boxed up, so I have to go get an Allen socket to finish the compressor mount. The shock unit should be a piece of cake, and I should be up and running shortly. I can't wait to test it out tomorrow!

For anyone contemplating air ride, give it serious consideration. And for anyone thinking about doing it yourself, it is a pretty simple install, with the possible exception of breaking the rear shock mounts loose - that was the hardest part of the install.

Lastly, for anyone doing it yourself, or for anyone who has any questions, I encourage you to call JD... the dude kicks butt and has great customer focus!

Thanks JD, and thanks HD Forums once again for this great resource!

Roger

Old 09-20-2010, 02:58 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a question for those of you who've had JD install the "newer style" bolts (to help ease tranny draining). Did you notice that your bikes sits lower when slammed? I swear that mine does. It seems to tuck the rear wheel further up into the fender. Oh, and the new compressor is awesome!

Old 09-20-2010, 03:08 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by beaureed445
I've got a question for those of you who've had JD install the "newer style" bolts (to help ease tranny draining). Did you notice that your bikes sits lower when slammed? I swear that mine does. It seems to tuck the rear wheel further up into the fender. Oh, and the new compressor is awesome!
Does your bike not have rubber stops installed? Becuase my bike drops down as far as it can. Enough to hit the rubber.