Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PolyCarb Bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010 | 01:29 PM
DocJ
|
Road Master

Hmmm...I wasn't thinking that risers/bars would be replaceable under warranty. I've only had my bike only 5-6 months, though. I guess if they could be "replaced", I'd want to put that towards some new apes. I just don't think having come from the factory powder-coated is a good enough reason to demand replacement. Plus, I don't think they'd give it to me.

I guess all in all, in regards to the bushing, it doesn't matter whether it is the poly or the rubber. It will do what a bushing does regardless. It just depends on whether you want to feel more or less vibration. Correct?

I think I may have to go back to the HD store and have a little chat with them about this. Apparently, a poly bushing would do nothing for this situation. I just want to know what they were thinking...

Old 08-13-2010 | 02:48 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

So the MoCo has a put a bike on the street that is inherently dangerous?. Seems if that were the case there would be alot of product liability lawsuits and a recall in the works so the dealers could put sandpaper under the handlebar clamp. More likely that the clamp wasn't torqued down enough imo.

If I ever thought there was a defect in my bike that caused the handlebars to fall down into my lap you can bet your azz that bike would be sold the next day.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 08-13-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-13-2010 | 05:36 PM
Crossb0nes
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DocJ
Hmmm...I wasn't thinking that risers/bars would be replaceable under warranty. I've only had my bike only 5-6 months, though. I guess if they could be "replaced", I'd want to put that towards some new apes. I just don't think having come from the factory powder-coated is a good enough reason to demand replacement. Plus, I don't think they'd give it to me.

If I read the opening post correctly the same dealer has tightened bars twice now, and you still have a problem. What the real issue is whether its powder coating, machined tolerance whatever is their problem not yours. Avoidance of serious injury or worse is a sufficient reason to insist on replacement

I guess all in all, in regards to the bushing, it doesn't matter whether it is the poly or the rubber. It will do what a bushing does regardless. It just depends on whether you want to feel more or less vibration. Correct?

Correct

I think I may have to go back to the HD store and have a little chat with them about this. Apparently, a poly bushing would do nothing for this situation. I just want to know what they were thinking...
IMHO Polybushing will do nothing to fix this issue. New risers, clamps and bars correctly fitted would be a start. Can't see anyone arguing that your safety not worth a couple of hundred
I hope you get it sorted, the bones a fantastic bike

Old 08-13-2010 | 07:10 PM
DocJ
|
Road Master

Thank you for clearing that up. Especially with the bushings. Im still learning the ropes, so to speak. Sometimes I feel like an idiot. Just glad there's a place I can come and ask questions and not get ridiculed for it.

Yes, this is the second time for the bars to be tightned down since purchase. At least this time I know it was done correctly. I couldn't promise it was before. If it starts slipping on me again, I will take it up with the dealer.

I love my bike. The Bones is wonderful! Never had a bike I was so enthralled with before.

Last edited by DocJ; 08-13-2010 at 07:12 PM.