Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy Lo Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:33 PM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriggerHappyJack
I have some mild wobble on my 2010 Fat Boy Lo between 40-50 MPH. I run my tire pressure at 40/40. I took it to the dealer today and they said it may be the front bearings (RACE bearings?). They said that if this is the case it is not covered under the warranty! I only have 3200 miles on the bike. Does this sound right? They said the bearings have probably seated and need to be tightened. I would expect this to be covered by my warranty. It will cost around $120 to have the dealer fix it. I am waiting on their call to say if that is the problem or not but I dont want to pay for something I dont have to. Any advise?
They may be right. But... you are better off going to an indy shop.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:41 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011HDFATBOYLO?
I have the wobble at exactly 45 mph on deceleration.... I am gonna call the dealer to see if they know of an issue. I will then bring it in for them to look at it. Mine only happens on deceleration at about 45... other than that the bike seems pretty smooth.
it's the neck bearings. Sounds exactly like what I had. Dealer never greased it at the 1K service and it just got worse. Easy fix for them. But make them do it under warranty.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:02 AM
cpiad
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jbg
it's the neck bearings. Sounds exactly like what I had. Dealer never greased it at the 1K service and it just got worse. Easy fix for them. But make them do it under warranty.
This is very easy DIY. Tourque stem bearing nut....hit the almanite 150 times or so ...or until the bearings puke. Invest in shop manual ..buy on eBay.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:44 AM
dee48
Intermediate

Mine was a defective tire. Ever since that was replaced it runs great

Old 06-21-2011, 08:23 PM
OldNavy66
Advanced

I just started to notice the same wobble on my 2010 FB Lo with 2800 miles. Thanks Guys; I'm taking it straight to the dealer!

That's another reason this is such a great forum.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:58 PM
jed1069
Road Master

Originally Posted by dee48
Mine was a defective tire. Ever since that was replaced it runs great

I had my 09 in 3 times for head bearin adj. It would help for about a hundred miles. I just got rid of my front tire a week ago went to a Metz and problem is gone 100% I swore it was the tire from the get go but dealer kept insisting it was head bearings. Guess they were wrong.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:31 AM
Reb DEATH
Cruiser
Default What the extended service plan says for wheel bearings...

OK fellas, since I was able to get the extended service plan on my bike transferred from the original owner to me, I have read the plan. Additionally, I have the 30 - 50 mph wobble with my first CLUNK backing out of the parking space the other day. Usually I back in, but I was in a hurry. Anyway, here is the wording you need to use to get the coverage you need via service plan.

Under Tire and Wheel Coverage:

"WE will pay for COSTS to repair or replace the original equipment or like replacement tires and/or wheel of YOUR MOTORCYCLE that fail due to contact with a road hazard (pothole or debris on the road surface such as nail, rock, or tree limb)."

Bottom line...you hit a pot hole and it started wobbling and making the clunk (if applicable).

Old 08-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Squeeks
3rd Gear
Default Maybe this time....

Going to pick up the bike today, left it with the dealer for 4 days so they could do some testing.

I first took it in for the wobble and they tightened the neck bearing, said it was so loose it is amazing it hadn't fallen off.
That lasted a short while, wobble came back.

This time they ripped her apart and couldn't find a damned thing wrong...except the front wheel with tire couldn't balance.
Tire off...wheel balanced OK.
Tire on...no balancing possible.

Called in a warranty to HD who approved a front tire replacement...let's hope that does it.

I am thinking though that an unbalaced tire would have been caught when the tire was first mounted and/or when they did the first inspection for the wobble...so maybe this tire thing is a symptom (uneven rubber wear?) of the underlying issue?

I guess we will see.

FYI, I keep the PSI at 38.

--Squeeks

Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 PM
09B29
Road Captain

Originally Posted by WoodsHog
Sounds like the neck bearings need adjusted.Supposed to be part of the1000 mile service.If the dealer did your 1000 mile service,then they didn't check the fall away and should do it for free.Same thing happened to me.They took care of it,no charge.
Mine had the wobble at 40-45 on Decel

Check the fall away
I had an Indy do mine after dealer gave me sh.t

well guess what ?
its finally fixed and fixed right

drives like a cadillac now

Last edited by 09B29; 08-16-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

its odd to me that so many say the "wobble" has to do with bearings, etc..

mine was the tire... not the wheel.. the tire.

I think, the solid wheel is less forgiving to rubber defects.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy Lo Wobble