Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy Lo Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Naf717
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wobble

I have the same problem with mine, dealer tightened front fork bearings three times! No charge but it only helps for awhile then starts to wobble again. It's so bad now that I don't enjoy riding it. Going to contact HD but it seems this has been an issue with fat boys all along. My dyna was much smoother ride, I love the bike and put 9k on it since last September but wobble is really bothersome. Showed other riders when they were riding next to me, these seasoned Harley owners said they never saw a bike wobble like that! It really takes the fun out of twisty roads, you can feel the wobble all the way thru!

Old 05-22-2011, 09:22 AM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Naf717
I have the same problem with mine, dealer tightened front fork bearings three times! No charge but it only helps for awhile then starts to wobble again. It's so bad now that I don't enjoy riding it. Going to contact HD but it seems this has been an issue with fat boys all along. My dyna was much smoother ride, I love the bike and put 9k on it since last September but wobble is really bothersome. Showed other riders when they were riding next to me, these seasoned Harley owners said they never saw a bike wobble like that! It really takes the fun out of twisty roads, you can feel the wobble all the way thru!
Use the lemon law and get HD to replace the bike? Although I'd try a different dealer and see if I can get it fixed for good first. That wobble was scary for me too. But the neck bearing fix did the trick and I haven't had any issues since they fixed it. Good luck though.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:51 AM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriggerHappyJack
I have some mild wobble on my 2010 Fat Boy Lo between 40-50 MPH. I run my tire pressure at 40/40. I took it to the dealer today and they said it may be the front bearings (RACE bearings?). They said that if this is the case it is not covered under the warranty! I only have 3200 miles on the bike. Does this sound right? They said the bearings have probably seated and need to be tightened. I would expect this to be covered by my warranty. It will cost around $120 to have the dealer fix it. I am waiting on their call to say if that is the problem or not but I dont want to pay for something I dont have to. Any advise?
Not surprised. Technically speaking you are right....it is covered under warranty unless specifically excluded. Do a little homework....read the warranty and see if there is an exclusion for the race bearings. If not....start with the service manager...talk to him to see if he agrees to perform the service just to keep you happy...if he days no...then show him there is no exclusion and that HD needs to stand behind the warranty. If he still says no...see if you can get a meeting with a HD regional rep or see if you can meet with the GMT at the dealership. Notice that by the time you hit three "NOs" you have invested over $125 of your time.

I would recommend you find a good indy shop and let a good tech ride the bike and make a diagnosis. At most dealerships the service writers are bottom feeders. Unfortunatately HD dealers provide very poor warranty service. We discount warranties and figure they are practically worthless after you pass the infant mortality stage of appx 3000 miles where you are now. In any event many of us...me included have made too many engine mods to sally into a dealer and ask for warranty service. I've had to clean up and redo or repair crummy dealer work or out and out fraud on lots of bikes.

Learn from this incident...get your bike fixed and wobble removed by an indy shop and turn your back on HD dealer. Figure that you bought the bike...and you paid your money...and its all yours now...the sooner you ditch the relationship with the dealer the better for your long term enjoyment and less frustration.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:59 AM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2wheels6strings
I'm picking up on the theme here. I've had the wobble checked out for my 1K service, and it was fixed. About 500 miles later, it was back again. I have it in storage for the winter and it should be fixed by the time it comes out. I picked up the extended warranty, and they still say they're going to charge me to fix it. I told them to go fish with the charges... 2010 Fatboy Lo... How many instances do they need to issue a free recall/fix..??
I've got a '10 Lo too. I've seen more than a few with loose head stems and no grease. If you never had the "HARLEY CLUNK" maybe its the wheel bearing....my recommendation if you are not able...take it to an indy Harley shop...ask the guy to ride it ....put it up on a bike lift and check wheel and stem bearings...then fix it it. And ....forget the dealer .... crummy service at a premium.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:02 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cpiad
Not surprised. Technically speaking you are right....it is covered under warranty unless specifically excluded. Do a little homework....read the warranty and see if there is an exclusion for the race bearings. If not....start with the service manager...talk to him to see if he agrees to perform the service just to keep you happy...if he days no...then show him there is no exclusion and that HD needs to stand behind the warranty. If he still says no...see if you can get a meeting with a HD regional rep or see if you can meet with the GMT at the dealership. Notice that by the time you hit three "NOs" you have invested over $125 of your time.

I would recommend you find a good indy shop and let a good tech ride the bike and make a diagnosis. At most dealerships the service writers are bottom feeders. Unfortunatately HD dealers provide very poor warranty service. We discount warranties and figure they are practically worthless after you pass the infant mortality stage of appx 3000 miles where you are now. In any event many of us...me included have made too many engine mods to sally into a dealer and ask for warranty service. I've had to clean up and redo or repair crummy dealer work or out and out fraud on lots of bikes.

Learn from this incident...get your bike fixed and wobble removed by an indy shop and turn your back on HD dealer. Figure that you bought the bike...and you paid your money...and its all yours now...the sooner you ditch the relationship with the dealer the better for your long term enjoyment and less frustration.
+1, I either do it myself or Indy does it. Dealer never works on my bike.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

You guys are talking about wobble. Is it when your in a corner or going straight down the road? I just went on a 580 mile ride this weekend on my 07 Deluxe. Going south on I 5 just north of Redding Ca. there is big sweeping turns. Our group was pushing 75-80 mph thru the turns and some of us got major scary wobbles. Not just on softails either. One guy on a street glide but mostly softails. We were thinking it was from having our bags loaded and having to much weight in the rear leaving the front tire to light.? Not sure. Any one have any Ideas? Oh and by the way we road 580 mile just to hit In-N-out burger. Good times.

Stone

Old 05-22-2011, 08:16 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

My wobble would kick in between 30-50mph and just going straight. It was really there when I was slowing for a stop. I don't think it's the same wobble you had.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:42 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine will also do it sometimes when I excell hard like at 70 going straight. Scary ****. I was talking to a buddy today and he said his road king will do the same thing and had talked to H.D. tech and he said to change shims in the swing arm. I didnt know there are shims in the swingarm? Sounds like its alot of Harleys with this problem. Would be nice to know what the hell it is.

Stone

Old 05-25-2011, 03:08 AM
NZFatboylo
3rd Gear

hi i have the same problem, i have been in contact with my dealer in nz i asked them about suspension they said it can be that. aftermarket springs or heavier oil can fix it but the other thing it could be is the tyre, they have had problems with some of the tyres on fatboys that have been sold in 2009 & 2010 and replaced the tyre under warranty. I haven't been able to take mine in yet-no local dealer. hope this helps

Old 06-14-2011, 11:31 PM
2011HDFATBOYLO?
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the wobble at exactly 45 mph on deceleration.... I am gonna call the dealer to see if they know of an issue. I will then bring it in for them to look at it. Mine only happens on deceleration at about 45... other than that the bike seems pretty smooth.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy Lo Wobble