Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice to fix a leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010 | 01:03 PM
scripture187
|
6th Gear
Default Need advice to fix a leak

I have a leak somewhere, and I cannot figure out where the heck it is. I have a drip coming off the bottom of the primary case (inner side), and if I put my hand back up in there, my hand comes out COVERED and completely black. The leak is pretty small, like maybe a drip every 30 minutes or so, and only after riding (I'm assuming when it's warmed up and the oil is thinner). There is also black oil on my chrome swing-arm cover. My engine and trans oil are both still full, and I wouldn't think my primary oil would turn black (it was just changed about 2 months ago, along with the outer primary case, and seals, due to a car ramming me and my wife). I don't have the money to send it in to the shop right now either. Recently, the leak has been a LOT smaller, so its either clogged itself up, or I'm out of oil in the primary. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 08-10-2010 | 01:52 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior

You could put BelRay tranny oil in the transmission. It's red and would at least eliminate that area. If the leak is that slow I'd start there. Next I'd look at the primary since it's pretty easy to get too. Hope this helps.

Old 08-10-2010 | 03:36 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I have had the same issue for a long time. Last week I tore the bike down to fix it. I thought I had it fixed until the second morning after the repair the pool of oil returned. I thought it was the main shaft ring seal which was replaced, but I guess not. The black is a mixture of the oil and all the road dirt on the inside of your primary. Read my thread about this issue here.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/546820-transmission-oil-leak-problem-solved.html

Once this whole mess is sorted out, I will post the final resolution. One thing to note is that my primary is distinguishably quieter since cutting off the race that had walked and adding new inner primary bearings.

Drew

Old 08-10-2010 | 05:45 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

Put some B&M Trick Shift in the primary. It's blue so if it leaks you'll have blue primary, red tranny and regular oil for the motor. Makes it a lot easier to know for sure what's leaking.

Old 08-10-2010 | 06:12 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I have some oil dye. Red and blue I'd be glad to send you some.