Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone traded their Road King for a Heritage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010 | 07:01 AM
Dandy1
|
Supporter
Default Has anyone traded their Road King for a Heritage?

I am think about trading my 07 Road King Police for a Heritage. The wife and I test road a Heritage last weekend and really liked it. Other than than the Heritage being smoother we couldn't tell much difference in the ride. I'm told I'm trading down but really don't see it. Thanks

Old 08-08-2010 | 08:06 AM
lost at sea
Stage I

Trading down? only with a closed minded person. The Heritage you sit in the bike and the Road King you sit on the bike. I had both bikes and liked the heritage the best. It did not handle quite as good as the King, but the style and ride for me made up the difference.

By the way, I bought a Road Glide a couple years ago and it is a great bike, however, I cannot get into the radio or the fairing like I thought. I am considering a road king or Heritage again. Is this moving down?

As far as moving up or down, in who's eyes? If I have a dresser and then go and buy a softail standard because I want to get back into that style of riding, why is that moving down? I see a bunch of rubs and wanna bees thinking this way because they do not know what it's all about anyway! Buy what you want and ride proud, who cares what the weekend tough guy thinks!!!

Last edited by lost at sea; 08-08-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2010 | 08:15 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior

If you do a lot of 'two up' riding you might want to consider keeping the RK. I've heard that the Heritage will ride pretty low and scrape when loaded down. I ride a Heritage but for the most part solo and have no problems with it at all.

Old 08-08-2010 | 08:21 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

I traded up - went from an '08 Fatboy to an '03 Road King Classic.

Old 08-08-2010 | 09:45 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

I've got an '07 Heritage, and I'm looking for a Road Glide.....

Old 08-08-2010 | 09:47 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

imo - the only thing touring bikes have on softails is the dual front brakes. Riding 2up, softail brakes are less than desirable at times. Rode 2up 300 miles yesterday through the Sierras- all twisties, some very tight - never scraped. But, I did replace the floorboards with half moon's and moved them forward ~1". When the stock boards were mounted in the stock location I would have scraped a few times.

Last edited by KumaRide; 08-08-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-08-2010 | 09:51 AM
chrisangie
Road Captain

we ride 2 up all the time couldnt b happpier. Go 2-300 mile no problem

Old 08-08-2010 | 10:43 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dandy1950
I'm told I'm trading down but really don't see it.
It's strange how some believe FLH touring bikes are the end-all. I moved from an Ultra Classic to a Softail Custom and heard the same thing. Turns out I like the Softail more.

Old 08-08-2010 | 11:07 AM
Dave Groves
Stage III

I have a Heritage and am trading up for a ultra,my wife has back problems and is not comfertable on the Heritage after 60 or 70 miles she has to get off.myself I like the solftail the way it handles,but if your old farts like us you might want to keep what you have,15 years ago I wouldn,t have thought of riding an Ultra.

Old 08-08-2010 | 11:14 AM
Earl IV
Tourer

I prefer softails, they feel sportier (sit lower)

The only thing I don't like is the single brake on the front which I hope to remedy soon.

Riding 2up is much better now that I cranked the shocks up all the way, I still drag the floorboards, but the 3" ext forward controls will be on next week and should fix that too.

I like RK's , but I can't see getting a bagger yet, maybe in 10yrs or so and even then it'll likely be a SG.

Quick Reply: Has anyone traded their Road King for a Heritage?