Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone owned a 90's softail? Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone owned a 90's softail? Need advice.

Looking to buy a 1996 FLSTN softail. 1340 motor I believe. Was wondering how the ride is compared to later model softail. I sold my 06 Deluxe a few weeks ago and miss it badly. Found this one at a good price, but don't know anything about them. I also believe they are called a Heritage softail, but look like the newer Deluxe, not the newer Heritage. Pros and cons? Can I still get accessories for it? Is this a good motor and overall how would it compare to my 06? The bike I found has only 6k on it from the original owner. Thanks

Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a 97 FLSTS......... The bike is great.....It's tough to compare the EVO's and the Twin Cam's
The 80" EVO is bullet proof with the basic care....

It will vibrate....Mine is like a blender until about 70mph, then she smooths right out

Your FLSTN is the Heritage Nostalgia.. Produced for 3 years.. Nice bikes

Old 08-06-2010, 11:50 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So at idle I would have vibrating like, let's say, a road king for example? The evo is mounted different than the twin cam? Overall is the evo a good motor and would I notice a difference between 1340 and 1450cc?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:56 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Mounted the same as a softail, but the twin cam has counterbalancers to smooth it out.

Overall the EVO is one of the best they made...There's a reason all the after market companies S&S, Ultima, TP etc, still make the EVO style motor.

A stock 88 vs a Stock 80 power wise is about the same.....

No such thing as stock any more.....And there are countless Cams you can install in the 80 to give it some giddyup....

Old 08-06-2010, 12:04 PM
bstacey
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mines a 1995 flstn. the seat is the pits on a long ride. need an aftermarket for that. also the evo from 1992 on has the ana cam bearing in it. they are not a good bearing and as soon as you do a cam change make sure you change that at the same time to aftermarket. i added the ev27 cam to mine with roller rockers and it flies.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:25 PM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 791 Likes on 384 Posts

I've ridden my buddys 08 X bones and it is real smooth compaired to my 93. To me, it just didn't have that "heartbeat" I'm looking for. If ya wanna feel like you're part of the bike, you'll love it the evo. One day I'll move to a twin cam, but not today.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:45 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,307 Likes on 2,559 Posts

I like my 96 more every time I ride it.Not as smooth as my 05 Train but to me it has the feel I've always liked about the big twins.I went from a 67 Shovel to the 05 without ever riding an Evo motored bike.Wish I had cause I don't think I would have gone with the twin cam.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Nautilus
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will vibrate... like no other motorcycle u've ridden that has no evo engine in it.. BUT there's no possible way to compare them to a twinkie, evos are legends and are for those true harley fans... they have the harley characteristic growl and idling music that somewhat changed or even disappeared in twinkies.
As stated, EVO's are bullet proof and have plenty of mods to transform them into a real hp beast! ! the only probable downer would be a leaking primary, but it is common and can easily be fixed, it's no need for alarm.

Bottom line... if ur looking for a bike u can work with at home (most 98% of evos are carbed, so no need for dealer computer on efi), a bike that'll last for god knows how long and really want to know what it feels like to be in toned with a bike... STOP TYPING AND GET IT!!!

btw, I own a 95 flstf.. absolutely love it!!!! vibration and all!! just plain LOVE IT!

Old 08-06-2010, 03:48 PM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a 98 FLSTF, 95 and newer took care of most of the problems associated with EVO's such a leaky base gaskets. The only issue still with the Evos is the inner cam bearing. Replace and the engine will last forever. Do new lifters, a new cam and adjustable pushrods while you are at it. It will outrun a stock 88 and last a long time.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:02 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Vibration is the diffference

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
Looking to buy a 1996 FLSTN softail. 1340 motor I believe. Was wondering how the ride is compared to later model softail. I sold my 06 Deluxe a few weeks ago and miss it badly. Found this one at a good price, but don't know anything about them. I also believe they are called a Heritage softail, but look like the newer Deluxe, not the newer Heritage. Pros and cons? Can I still get accessories for it? Is this a good motor and overall how would it compare to my 06? The bike I found has only 6k on it from the original owner. Thanks
I had an '94 Fatboy and put 30K on it, got a Road King but discovered God built my ***
too close to the ground and went back to a new Fatboy in '04 - have 42K on it. The
difference between the two softails is just vibration; power, handling etc is much the
same. My '94 had an Andrews EV3 cam & S&S carb - the '04 has 203 cams and reworked
carb but it revs slower than my old EVO. Like I said - just vibration IMHO.

Quick Reply: Anyone owned a 90's softail? Need advice.