Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Me again, ape install question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:36 AM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

use a lite lubricant
works like a charm,& i do believe it is in the manual
ferget which page though
you gunna like apes mon

Old 08-07-2010, 07:45 PM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sBender
Hey, bro, did you get them out? I haven't seen whether or not you've had success.

Also, let me appologize if I seemed abrasive in my first post in your thread. That was not my intention. I sometimes forget that we all need a starting point and I've been riding since I was 7 and tinkering on bikes and cars since I was 14.

I believe taht if you look in your service manual under control housings it will tell you to firmly pull on the cable end (after you've diconnected everything else) with a "rocking motion". I know mine does. Is there anyone you ride with that can swing by and give you a hand? Sometimes just having a budy close by will get you through the harder parts. If you're anywhere close to Fredericksburg, VA I'll be happy to swing by, drink your beer and give you the occasional pointer.

Good luck. You'll be fine. Don't forget to post pics when you're don.

Christian
Yeah, I didn't look under control housings. I was looking for cables etc.

I got the first one out in 2 seconds. the second on was giving me more trouble. I'll try the lubricant suggestion.

Thanks all

Old 08-07-2010, 08:16 PM
County98
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull and rock it is the deal. One of mine came right out and one of them was a beotch. It'll come eventually. I must have pulled (HARD) and back and forth, etc for a good half hour. Then took a smoke tried it again and it popped right out. I just stood there looking at it like it betrayed me or something. I was cranking on it and it wouldn't budge, then slipped right out.

Try it in different angles as you go, you might find a looser fit spot as you're rocking it and pulling.

Good luck!

Oh, and I also dropped a brass ferrule and to this day still havent found that little SOB. Lucky the local indy had some.