Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Me again, ape install question....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:27 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chunks
Everyone seems to be assuming that I dont have a service manual. In fact I do
have one.

I couldn't find anything in the index that pointed me to the right place, and its a fat book.
Thought asking here would be faster than reading the whole book

I looked up throttle cables and the only entries I could find didn't mention removing them.

I have everything off the bike and disconnected at the end that connect to the throttle body.
All the actual cables are disconnected at both ends and its sitting on my work bench.

i just need to get them disconnected from the housing where the rigid little "elbows" attach to the housing.

So the consensus is to just pull hard and they will pop out?
I just poked the ferrules out from the sides with a small screwdriver or dentist tool. No hard pulling or pushing.

This vid should clinch it for you:
http://www.ehow.com/video_5538516_re...bar-grips.html

Last edited by jimmers1817; 08-06-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:19 PM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
I just poked the ferrules out from the sides with a small screwdriver or dentist tool. No hard pulling or pushing.

This vid should clinch it for you:
http://www.ehow.com/video_5538516_re...bar-grips.html

The ferrules arent the problem. Never were.

The problem is where the "L" shaped hard cable housings
connect to the switch housing.

Its not real obvious how they can be removed. Apparently some pulling and twisting should do the trick.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:57 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL, sorry I misunderstood. Yes, in that case you just tug them out. Friction fit.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Forge
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Keep on

Its not real obvious how they can be removed. Apparently some pulling and twisting should do the trick.
Sounds like you are making progress chunks. Keep asking questions. The more you ask the more I am willing to try it myself this winter. Good luck. Can't waite to see the finished product and any words of wisdom for those of us who may try this install.
Forge

Old 08-06-2010, 09:32 PM
phknsic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did an ape install on my first bike, no prior bike experience and it wasn't that hard.. but then again I build race engines, and fabricate for a hobby so I'm pretty mechanical and good at problem solving.....

but..... I had the same issue you had, the stock "L" that goes into the bottom of the housing wouldn't come out, I just pulled with even force while twisting back and forth eventually it came out as it should have. I was just really worried that I'd break something and didn't want to grab them with pliers. Just a lot of even outward force to pull straight out and they should pop for ya.

oh and I don't have a manual either, don't feel that I needed one at all. it's all pretty easy if you reverse what you did to take all the stock crap off.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:02 PM
chunks
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Forge
Sounds like you are making progress chunks. Keep asking questions. The more you ask the more I am willing to try it myself this winter. Good luck. Can't waite to see the finished product and any words of wisdom for those of us who may try this install.
Forge
I'm sure I'll have a few more questions before I'm done.

I got stalled though. Went to mount the new risers and wouldn't you know it,
they sent the wrong bushings!

Now I'm on hold till the right ones come in...

Old 08-06-2010, 10:03 PM
chunks
Road Captain

Originally Posted by phknsic

but..... I had the same issue you had, the stock "L" that goes into the bottom of the housing wouldn't come out, I just pulled with even force while twisting back and forth eventually it came out as it should have. I was just really worried that I'd break something and didn't want to grab them with pliers. Just a lot of even outward force to pull straight out and they should pop for ya.

Thats good to know. The first one popped right out with one good pull. the second one is being very stubborn and I was afraid of pulling too hard...

Old 08-06-2010, 10:18 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep at it man, I've done 3 ape installs. They are tedious, but the ride is well worth it. Good luck.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:46 PM
wideroad
Cruiser

I just did my first ape install about 3 weeks ago so I know what you're going through. Keep up the work man it's definately worth the effort for the end reslut.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 AM
sBender
Tourer

Everyone seems to be assuming that I dont have a service manual. In fact I do
have one.

I couldn't find anything in the index that pointed me to the right place, and its a fat book.
Thought asking here would be faster than reading the whole book

I looked up throttle cables and the only entries I could find didn't mention removing them.

I have everything off the bike and disconnected at the end that connect to the throttle body.
All the actual cables are disconnected at both ends and its sitting on my work bench.

i just need to get them disconnected from the housing where the rigid little "elbows" attach to the housing.

So the consensus is to just pull hard and they will pop out?
Hey, bro, did you get them out? I haven't seen whether or not you've had success.

Also, let me appologize if I seemed abrasive in my first post in your thread. That was not my intention. I sometimes forget that we all need a starting point and I've been riding since I was 7 and tinkering on bikes and cars since I was 14.

I believe taht if you look in your service manual under control housings it will tell you to firmly pull on the cable end (after you've diconnected everything else) with a "rocking motion". I know mine does. Is there anyone you ride with that can swing by and give you a hand? Sometimes just having a budy close by will get you through the harder parts. If you're anywhere close to Fredericksburg, VA I'll be happy to swing by, drink your beer and give you the occasional pointer.

Good luck. You'll be fine. Don't forget to post pics when you're don.

Christian

Quick Reply: Me again, ape install question....