Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission oil leak problem solved...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010 | 08:58 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grf000
Thanks for the help. Never been this deep. Harley service manual has it split so its difficult to get it all in your head. Finally put it together on Bikebandit.com fish. There is like three shafts running between the primary and transmission. (Inside each other) The oil was coming between the outer one and the main drive gear from the transmission before it gets to the primary seal. You must have cleaned it off the front side of the drive pulley. I was thinking it was leaking on other side of drive pulley. When it was leaking it had to have been running down on the belt and throwing it everywhere.
Sorry if I sounded a little harsh in my responses to you. I took it for granted you knew the inner workings of the drivetrain. That was my mistake and I apologize. You just gained a new level of respect from me.
Peace

Old 08-06-2010 | 09:07 AM
DR. V-TWIN
|
Former Sponsor

mmmmm....pizza!

LOL.

Drew

Old 08-10-2010 | 02:09 PM
o/d
Tourer

i realize this was a minor leak for a long time.
but it looks like it went from a minor drip to a major leak pretty quick.

this past week i've been trying to figure out where my leak is coming from.
this post may have cleared that up.

i'm getting the oil running down the backside of the primary cover.
looks like another project in my near future.

was hoping i could wait for winter, but would hate to have it go from a minor drip to major leak on the road.

good thread.

Old 08-10-2010 | 02:33 PM
DR. V-TWIN
|
Former Sponsor

UPDATE! My bike is still leaking so wherever the leak was coming from, I missed it. It is in the shop right now waiting for our certified tech to take a look. It was fine for the first night, but then I came outside the next morning and there was a small pool of redline on the ground. I rode the bike all day Friday without an issue but on Saturday morning the pool of oil was bigger yet. Sunday even more.

When they get a chance to take a look I'll update everyone on this issue.

The black on the back of the primary is a mixture of road dirt and whatever oil you have in your tranny. I was going to tear it all down myself again with the help of kk6pg, but we are both extremely busy this week and really do not have time.

Drew

Old 08-11-2010 | 06:27 AM
DR. V-TWIN
|
Former Sponsor

Okay, so tear down has been done again. The mainshaft ring seal was still leaking, the shifter shaft seal is leaking, and the quad seal is leaking too. I replaced the main shaft seal and shifter shaft seal , but not the quad seal. So apparently I did not get them seated properly or something. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Drew

Old 08-28-2010 | 04:10 PM
DR. V-TWIN
|
Former Sponsor

So after more investigation and pulling the 5th gear main out, we found the 5th gear main shredded inside. From my research here on the forums it seems that this could have been caused by incorrect tolerances when pressing the tranny together as another member had a similar issue but i do not think his got eaten up like mine. The leak was from the quad seal.
Name:  1100granville7028.jpg
Views: 7547
Size:  108.6 KB

A few more days and I should have it all back together.