Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission oil leak problem solved...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010 | 05:31 PM
kerrycorcoran
Tourer

Go with the inner chrome...

Old 08-05-2010 | 07:08 PM
DR. V-TWIN
|
Former Sponsor

The bike is back together without the chrome inner. Money is tight right now and I wanted to get it back together today. You need to remove the outer primary, clutch and compensator sprocket, starter bolts and then the bolts for the inner primary. As far the seal that was leaking I need a few days to be sure I got it all fixed but it seems fine now. KK6PG can explain it better than I.

It needs a bath and a nice shakedown run tomorrow. It only took about 10 hours of labor to replace a bearing and a couple of seals.

Drew

Drew

Old 08-05-2010 | 08:01 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

got to have a chrome inner, a must!!

Old 08-05-2010 | 08:26 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grf000
Help me out here DR V Twin. Little lost as to how this sleeve sliding back hit the oil seal. This is the harden inner race for the outboard transmission bearing between the transmission and primary. Looking from the clutch side inward it should have been trapped by the larger diameter spacer the actual runs in the seal for the back side of the primary cover. Then you have the quad seal for the transmission and a large snap ring and transmission bearing. If the outer race moved back how did it push the next larger seal sleeve back unless you have a snap ring in the transmission gone bad? Was your primary leaking or was it your transmission? What is that oil type on the floor?
What part of this picture do you not understand? Theres no snap ring to pop out, and the quad seal is on the other side of the drive pulley. The race drifted. Its a fact of life with a Harley.
Name:  innerprimary029.jpg
Views: 16380
Size:  31.0 KB

Old 08-05-2010 | 09:55 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Default ???

Originally Posted by kk6pg
What part of this picture do you not understand? Theres no snap ring to pop out, and the quad seal is on the other side of the drive pulley. The race drifted. Its a fact of life with a Harley.
1/ You said transmission was leaking. This is primary side.
2/ I thought the inner seal for the primary was closer to the pulley running on a larger spacer. Would appear that this sleeve would need to push the larger sleeve back?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-11-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-05-2010 | 11:40 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grf000
1/ You said transmission was leaking. This is primary side.
2/ I thought the inner seal for the primary was closer to the pulley running on a larger spacer. Would appear that this sleeve would need to bush the larger sleeve back?
It is the primary side. If the trans oil was leaking on the other side of the drive pulley, then you would suspect a quad. And that arrow pointing at the "Mainshaft 'ring' seal" is pointing at the last gearbox seal. If it leaks from here, it pisses gear oil out on the primary side of the final drive, and doesnt take very long to empty the trans. If Drew would have been on the road to Sturgis, it would have more than likely cost him a trans.

Dont make assumptions that just because a seal is on the primary side, the trans aint leaking and wont get hurt. I'm glad Drew wasnt on the road to nowhere when this happened, and he knows someone that works for
Name:  PICT1739.jpg
Views: 8508
Size:  50.2 KB

Old 08-05-2010 | 11:44 PM
DR. V-TWIN
|
Former Sponsor

What is that, a pizza? MMM....lunch.

Old 08-06-2010 | 12:58 AM
Malibyte
Tourer

Hmmm...Larry, looks like I'll need to order up a case of pizzas and brewskis for our motor-build session!!

Old 08-06-2010 | 01:50 AM
NickD
Road Master

The fluid on the floor looks like Heavy Duty Shockproof . . . The Pepto Pismol of gear oils, LOL.

Old 08-06-2010 | 08:18 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Default With you now.

Thanks for the help. Never been this deep. Harley service manual has it split so its difficult to get it all in your head. Finally put it together on Bikebandit.com fish. There is like three shafts running between the primary and transmission. (Inside each other) The oil was coming between the outer one and the main drive gear from the transmission before it gets to the primary seal. You must have cleaned it off the front side of the drive pulley. I was thinking it was leaking on other side of drive pulley. When it was leaking it had to have been running down on the belt and throwing it everywhere.

Quick Reply: Transmission oil leak problem solved...