Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 09:05 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default SERT Installation

Hey guys,

is the SERT as easy to install as the PCIII? Can you get preloaded maps or "canned" maps like you can with the PCIII?

thanks

Old 08-31-2006, 10:04 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SERT Installation

SERT is just a method to "update" the existing ECM's tuning tables (you get an interface box and cables that you use with your PC - however, no hardware remains on the bike). The PCIII, however, is a piece of hardware that stays on the bike and interfaces with the ECM. Tuning-wise, the PCIII is a bit easier. i.e. really the depends on what your dyno tuner is familar with. As far as maps, both have a good catalog of canned maps.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Firefox
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the SERT has more to offer I looked at all of them before I went with the SERT. Yes it did cost more but if your computer savy you can do a whole lot more with the SERT. But they all will work just depends on what you want to do down the road. And how much you want to and can do yourself.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:45 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When you say I use a PC to install the SERT, do I need to use a laptop or have the bike hooked up to a computer when installing, or do I do download onto the SERT and then install it on my bike? I'm asking b/c I don't have a laptop and my PC is in my house (obviously).

Old 09-01-2006, 12:56 AM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: WARG

When you say I use a PC to install the SERT, do I need to use a laptop or have the bike hooked up to a computer when installing, or do I do download onto the SERT and then install it on my bike? I'm asking b/c I don't have a laptop and my PC is in my house (obviously).
I made a 60' cable to run from a PC to the SERT interface box. You can use the PC in your house but would need a similar cable or you would need to move the PC to the garage. I made the cable from a couple of adapters and it uses any standard network cable. If you need to do the same thing, let me know and I can help you out with that.

Old 09-01-2006, 01:12 AM
Firefox
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the ideal way is to find a good dealer and I use that term loosly because I have heard of some dealers saying it takes many hours. My dealer did it it an hour. Ok back to the start I say the ideal way is to have a dealer with a dyno install it. Because yes it does come with presets but the idel way is to install it (I mean download it)with the closest configuration and then do several passes on the dyno to tune the bike to its optimum performance. Meaning every single bike out there is slightly differant and depending on intake exhaust and many other factors you can tune your bike to get the most out of it with the SERT. and once its done if you have a laptop you can plug in and tweek it to your own specs and if it doesn't work you can go back to that setup the dealer with the dyno configured. Understand? Rather than just some downloadable presets you can actually adjust every perimiter available. And there is a mock dyno with the SERT that is actually more acurate than some dynos dealers have because you can dial in your weight and wind resistance. Its an awsume unit. But you cant just download it and expect it to tear up the road. If you read and understand the SERT its really the best unit out there. But if you want something cheap and easy and don't want to get nuts with it and change things to get the most out of your bike. DON'T BUY IT.