Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Good To Be True?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Be very careful

Old 07-29-2010, 07:51 PM
D.Goodwin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I ran into the same thing a few months back.Theysent me a serial number that was one letter off in hopes I wouldn't notice. I e-mailed them back with no responce.
They sent me an offical looking(ebay)e-mail document except they wanted me to send money via western union.Everyone knows ebay only uses pay pal.At thet point I knew it was a scam.BE CAREFUL...BE VERY CAREFUL.

Dennis

Old 07-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Ron1187
Intermediate

Like they say "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is" works here.

It's great to know that the bike community is always willing to help each other out. Someone riding to take a look at the bike is an honorable person and if I were looking for a bike somewhere not close to me, that is what I would hope for. I have been in the old car hobby for many years and have checked out many cars for people that were in my area and not there's. That's what a hobby is all about and I find the Bike hobby a great one with many super people.

Glad you bring this to everyone's attention so others are aware of these scams.

Ron

Old 07-29-2010, 09:26 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by James Riley
It was an add in a *local* Colorado Classified with no phone number, just an e-mail address, and so I thought he was located in Colorado. But he e-mailed back, "I'm located in Kansas City, MO and the bike is here as well. I'm asking $5700 for it . Free delivery within 500 miles radius. I can help you with shipping for low shipping fees. Need zip code to calculate shipping fees. If you are interested, I can send you the pictures and specifications."

Thank you all for your comments. I think it is a scam and won't proceed further. If anyone else wants the information and wants to risk it, I will gladly give you the contact information. Before getting your input I did ask him for the pictures and specs and told him I would drive there to pick it up if I decided to buy it. But I swear, all the used bikes I see like that around here are not much less than a new bike (12k, etc.).

Thanks again for helping a newbie.
Tell him you just happen to have a guy in the local area (see below) who will check it out for you and see how he responds (or doesn't).

This is a regular Craigslist scam. You'll never see them for a '78 Corrolla. I emailed recently on a '96 Impala SS which was a good deal. Car just 'happened' to be in Montana, but the guy could get it shipped to me. I happen to be on an Impala forum and guys all over were posting links to the same car all over the U.S.

Originally Posted by kccustom
Get the address and I will ride over there and check it out for you.
You're a standup guy in my book. Good on you.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 PM
James Riley
Tourer

I did ask for pics and specs but so far no response. If he does respond I will do as you all say and tell him I've got people to come look at it.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member

i see these ads all the time on craigs list i email em for fun and they are out of state and want to ship the bike to you.....come on think about it, a new bike for 5700...please...im wondering if your the scam...pffft

Old 07-29-2010, 10:06 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Either a scam, or a soon-to-be ex-wife selling hubbys stuff quickly. Either way, bad news. Worth playing with em, not much more than that, IMO anyway.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:23 PM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
Either a scam, or a soon-to-be ex-wife selling hubbys stuff quickly. Either way, bad news. Worth playing with em, not much more than that, IMO anyway.
Yep scam, and Yep play with them. I once looked into a $65,000.00 dollar airplane that the guy was selling for $24,000.00. I gave the info to the Feds, and they found out the guy had a cell phone with an Arizona phone number, but was actually in Russia!

Old 07-30-2010, 12:14 AM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait I forgot to say I would bring $5700 with me when I go look

Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 AM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member

no chit some people are so stupid they would believe anything....wow...i have a 1000 bucks wanna trade for 10000...is free...lol

Quick Reply: To Good To Be True?