Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky gas cap or overfilled?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:46 AM
FrankT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky gas cap or overfilled?

Hey Guys,
I noticed the last few times that I filled my gas tank (09 Fatboy) I had some gas leaking from the cap onto my tank after I started riding. It seemed to primarily leak on right turns. I always make sure that the cap is on tight and screw it on until I hear a few clicks. When I fill up the tank, I do it while on the side stand and I try to make sure not to fill it above the fill hole. It is possible that I may have over filled it, but it seemed to be doing it recently. Not sure if the cap is bad or if it is just rider error. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Softail Tony
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going with overfill. I did the same thing on my heritage, ended up with unleaded pants.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this too. My Heritage does the same thing. When you stand the bike upright off the stand it will start coming out. Going to try to not fill it up so far, especially in hotter weather. I didn't seem to have this problem when I got my bike new last August and through the winter though. Wonder if it could be the cap?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have something similar with my heritage classic, although with me it leaks towards the console and soaks into the leather tank cover. Is this also an over fill. Only noticed this lately with the hotter weather.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:42 AM
kipd
Tourer

I had the same problem with the stock cap on my 09 Rocker. Worked fine for the first few thousand miles, then it all of a sudden started leaking after I filled up. I took it to the local dealer, and the shop boss said the overflow should deal with any overfill issues before the cap would seep, so they just handed me a brand new cap and I gave them my old one. At this point it seems to be fine again.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:42 PM
tacomajoe501
Advanced

I had the same problem, I read on here that after it clicks to push down on the cap it will turn another quarter inch or so to snug it down, It worked for me no more fuel leak.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:32 PM
FrankT
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kipd
I had the same problem with the stock cap on my 09 Rocker. Worked fine for the first few thousand miles, then it all of a sudden started leaking after I filled up. I took it to the local dealer, and the shop boss said the overflow should deal with any overfill issues before the cap would seep, so they just handed me a brand new cap and I gave them my old one. At this point it seems to be fine again.
I think I will do the same thing as I got a few months left on warranty. Hate going to the dealer especially during riding season!

Old 07-26-2010, 01:47 PM
03sporty
Cruiser

I flipped my rubber seal on the cap upside down and that worked. My buddy had the same problem and found a gas seal at the local Pep Boys in the HELP section, and he said that work great. I tried to find it but no luck.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mmm interesting. I have the flush mount cap on my bike, would that mean that that piece is faulty now? maybe I need to see if i can flip my rubber seal. will have to see.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:13 PM
03sporty
Cruiser

I have a hook and pick set for seals, and just picked it up around the threads and flipped it. Worked for me.

Quick Reply: Leaky gas cap or overfilled?