Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky gas cap or overfilled?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 02:58 PM
maximus1969
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas leak, not from the cap

Hi guys, newbie to the forum. I found it while doing a search on google. This is whats happening to my 06 softail. After i put gas in it and go home and put it in the garage gas will run out from underneath the center console in the middle of my tank....it has a seal on both sides that is in 2 pieces and it comes out of there and drips down my tank to the ground. It did this the other night while I was gone and I came home to find a small wet spot under the bike, I wiped my tank off and the gas seems to have done something to my paint????? there is a spot where you can see where the gas came out and ran down my tank.

What would be causing this and how can I get it off my paint? I tried to wax it out and it didnt work.....

Old 08-16-2010, 03:01 PM
maximus1969
Stage II

test 1

Old 08-16-2010, 08:52 PM
RobbAR
Cruiser

My 08 Fatboy did it once I now push down on it with the heal of my hand while turning it till it clicks a few times...its never leaked again...tighten it the regular way just twisting the top till it clicks then try pushing down some with your hand...it worked on mine hasnt leaked since...maybe just luck but will see has been in the 100's here and I filled it up yesterday to the bottom of the metal insert in the tank neck...didnt leak a drop..

Old 10-16-2011, 12:12 AM
one8upcb
Stage I
Default Same fuel leak problem 2006 fatboy

I am having the same problem as maximus. It has pitted underneath the leather and on the left side of the tank. It only does it when its full and leaned over parked. I thought it was overfilled, but filled it below the hole. I will try tightening the cap more. i'll have to work on that when i get home from deployment. This site is going to be benificial.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:28 AM
OldCoddger
Advanced

If your gas cap is leaking, don't settle for the "push harder as you twist". The Moco knows that some cap seals are faulty and will replace the cap. Problem solved, just twist until you here a click and then no leak. At least that is how mine has done.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:22 PM
OldNavy66
Advanced

I have to agree with tacomojoe501. I had exactly the same problem with my 2010 Fatboy Lo. I now turn through a few clicks, then push down and continue to turn until it is tight. No more leakage. The clicks are useless.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:22 PM
jayrocker
Cruiser

I had the same issue and it was a bad weld around where the cap and the tank meet. I have my new tank on the way.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:51 AM
jessefordham
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maximus1969
Hi guys, newbie to the forum. I found it while doing a search on google. This is whats happening to my 06 softail. After i put gas in it and go home and put it in the garage gas will run out from underneath the center console in the middle of my tank....it has a seal on both sides that is in 2 pieces and it comes out of there and drips down my tank to the ground. It did this the other night while I was gone and I came home to find a small wet spot under the bike, I wiped my tank off and the gas seems to have done something to my paint????? there is a spot where you can see where the gas came out and ran down my tank.

What would be causing this and how can I get it off my paint? I tried to wax it out and it didnt work.....

I have noticed this exact same problem on my 2012 Blackline. I have always filled just below the indent on the tank with no problems. Filled tank 2 days ago and noticed when I got on bike after work gas leaked from under the dash. Got home and thought maybe overfill but took abot 1/2 gallon out of tank and still did it yesterday. I took dash off to clean the gas, coming from seal under dash. Bike is little over 1 gallon down now and noticed a small amount of gas come out from under the dash on way to work. Any ideas, or should I just take it to the local HD dealer and let them deal with it? Wanted to get anyone's opinon before I take it in and not have a weekend of riding lol. Btw got bike in Feb. and it has 2600 miles, never a problem till just a few days ago.