Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky gas cap or overfilled?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Bonzo27524
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the same problem- mine leaks a little even if I turn it past several clicks, I will try the suggestion of pressing down while turning and see what happens. If it doesn't work I guess it off to the dealer before the warrenty runs out.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:25 PM
cspcrx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the HD flush guage and cap on my bike. I also fill it to the top and when I stood the bike up gas sloshed out all over the tank. This never happened with the stock cap. I screwed it in unit it resisted then push it down to lock the cap down. Maybe I will not like this cap if thats what its going to do.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:07 PM
ejohnson1
Cruiser

I have the flush mount cap as well. I have found that some times I have to really crank it tight. The crappy thing is that when I go to take it off it can be a real bitch to get loose, especially if my hands are a little oily or sweaty. I am starting to think the cap is affected by heat expansion or something, there are times when I can't get it tight enough to go down flush and other times it does.

So far it has only leaked out once, the 1st time filled with it. That time the cap was about 1/8" above flush. Ever since I have been cautious to get it tight. I wonder if I am overtightening it sometimes now, but I am so paranoid about the gas leaking out.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:27 PM
cspcrx
Tourer

Thanks, I was worried about over tightening it with other posting about people breaking them. When I push the cap down and give it a twist it does not sit fluch it sticks up, but only a little bit. Make me wonder if I am not tightening it enough.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:11 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I just had my bike painted about two weeks ago. Sporty, but with fat bob type tank, two holer. Filled it up , rode around a little, then parked it at home for the night. Yesterday mid-morning I looked out, gas had ran out of the left side, and the paint all over the left side of the tank had turned loose. Just like if I had removed paint remover!

Factory HD caps, I bought them here off of someone. Never has leaked before. Caps came off of a later model bike, 2005 or so if I recall correctly.

Now my new paint job is fokked. And it was a nightmare to begin with!

Sorry to derail the thread, but how long should clearcoat need to harden to be resistant to gas?

Sounds like a ton of bad gas caps from HD INC.

Just needed to cry and vent a little, lmao.

RD

Old 07-30-2010, 05:23 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master

Originally Posted by FrankT
Hey Guys,
I noticed the last few times that I filled my gas tank (09 Fatboy) I had some gas leaking from the cap onto my tank after I started riding. It seemed to primarily leak on right turns. I always make sure that the cap is on tight and screw it on until I hear a few clicks. When I fill up the tank, I do it while on the side stand and I try to make sure not to fill it above the fill hole. It is possible that I may have over filled it, but it seemed to be doing it recently. Not sure if the cap is bad or if it is just rider error. Any thoughts? Thanks.
My Night Train does this as well. It is obviously a HD defect with those caps or however they are making the tanks where the cap goes on. It's a PITA if you ask me.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:32 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jetfever
I have not had any fuel leak (Knock wood) but I was wondering how "full" you are filling your tank...

I stop filling when the fuel touches the bottom of the "indent" or aluminum step down with the HD logo stamped in it.

I can't get within 1/2 inch of the indent or it spills.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:08 PM
RA51
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been going thru this with a 09 Dyna with leaking gas out of tank around gas cap when full. Dealer said I was over filling it. My 95 Sportster an 06 Night Train I can fill into the neck an neither leak gas. Put the Sportster gas cap on the Dyna an no more gas leaking. Dealer give me a new cap after that.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:33 PM
chrisangie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just thought i was putting my cap on untill i read this.I got mine tight now it dont leak thanks a bunch.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:28 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisangie
i just thought i was putting my cap on untill i read this.I got mine tight now it dont leak thanks a bunch.
There ya go! Some of you are fast learners.

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
Sounds like a ton of bad gas caps from HD INC.
Randy, this is one of your better attempts at humor.

I've seen from many of your posts that you are generally a sensible guy. If the screw-top on your pop bottle leaked, you'd just tighten it some more. If your near-new stock factory fuel cap leaked, you wouldn't say: "I heard a couple clicks and it still leaks--bad cap!" You'd give it a good twist to make sure it seats. Your own bike w/ non-stock cap and repaint might have a different issue, but all most of these "bad caps" need is to be tightened fully.

Don't be afraid to hear a few extra clicks.

Quick Reply: Leaky gas cap or overfilled?