Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky gas cap or overfilled?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:15 PM
meatsack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a common problem...

Keep constant pressure on the cap while screwing it in from the very start.

Just screwing it in doesn't create a good seal. Ask me why...I have no idea.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is I put over 40,000 miles on my 1500 Vulcan with flip-open, lockable gas cap and never had a drop of gas come out. I'm beginning to wonder.

Last edited by Gman in NC; 07-26-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:41 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

It is not too much gas... The whole purpose of the gas cap is to keep the gas in the tank.

I had the same issue... Momma didn't take kindly to my parts smelling like unleaded. Took the bike into the dealer. Explained the problem, they said it was most likely a bad check valve / vent. Ordered me a new cap warranty. No fuss, no muss.
Now my parts smell kissably sweet!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior

Mine was a lot of gas. Twice it blew up into my face and the inside of my windshield. Then I rode several more miles with one hand on the handlebars and the other on a paper towel. I did the 'reverse' gasket thing and a little pressure putting the cap back on. I think it will be fine or a new cap will fix the problem. Hope nobody took my last comment wrong. I love my Heritage and have put 10,000 miles on it the first 11 months I've had it.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:53 PM
ppalmerjr
Cruiser

I had the same problem on my 09 Crossbones. I did the push and turn method and no more leaks. When you push you can feel the seal grabbing the tank making contact and a good seal.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:58 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,322 Likes on 5,481 Posts
Default no leaks

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
All I know is I put over 40,000 miles on my 1500 Vulcan with flip-open, lockable gas cap and never had a drop of gas come out. I'm beginning to wonder.
50,000 on my FB never leaked a drop either if it leaks some thing is fouling the seal

Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Push down while screwing works for me

Old 07-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

Mine sometimes does the same thing a little bit. I think I can feel some gas splashing out after I ride. I noticed the other day that after I put the cap on there was some major gas leaking out at a high rate of speed... my bike was going fast not the gas (110mph) while I was riding I gave the cap a twist and it had a good amount to turn before it started clicking again. Maybe I forgot to twist it all the way or maybe it was a bad seal and backed off itself somehow. Ill try filling it up all the way and doing the push and turn and see if that helps. Bike did it with only 25 miles on the odometer.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankT
Hey Guys,
I noticed the last few times that I filled my gas tank (09 Fatboy) I had some gas leaking from the cap onto my tank after I started riding. It seemed to primarily leak on right turns. I always make sure that the cap is on tight and screw it on until I hear a few clicks. When I fill up the tank, I do it while on the side stand and I try to make sure not to fill it above the fill hole. It is possible that I may have over filled it, but it seemed to be doing it recently. Not sure if the cap is bad or if it is just rider error. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Yup, bad gas cap . . . but the good news is that it's covered by your emissions warranty!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
Mine was a lot of gas. Twice it blew up into my face and the inside of my windshield. Then I rode several more miles with one hand on the handlebars and the other on a paper towel. I did the 'reverse' gasket thing and a little pressure putting the cap back on. I think it will be fine or a new cap will fix the problem. Hope nobody took my last comment wrong. I love my Heritage and have put 10,000 miles on it the first 11 months I've had it.
Your fuel tank vent line is plugged . . . any chance someone removed the charcoal canister? The Fuel tank vents through the Charcoal Canister. There may also be a roll-over check valve on some bikes.

Quick Reply: Leaky gas cap or overfilled?