Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Ride on my new Heritage Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:02 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default First Ride on my new Heritage Classic

I bought a used 2009 Heritage Classic earlier this week and couldn't wait to take a ride. Despite a 111 degree comfort index reading (102 degrees actual) I took a two hour ride in all conditions - traffic, highway, slow streets, nice country roads.

My last Harley was a 2007 Softail Deluxe, a bike a liked very much but which left me wanting more since I couldn't lean into the turns the way I liked.

Today's ride was a revelation. Harley has done a great job on the redesign. The bike did all I asked, was comfortable and didn't even object to the heat. Yes, there was some heat coming off the engine - it's 102, what do you expect?!

This is my third Harley, and I believe it will be with me until I can no longer swing a leg over. Great bike, great ride. Couldn't be happier.

I added the rear light mod - changes the yellow turn signals to red running lights; also added a battery tender hookup (wired everything myself, pretty easy to do).

For anyone who is "on the fence" about which model to buy, or whether to buy given the economy, I suggest taking a ride and then decide for yourself. I did, and I'm very glad that I did.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Ron1187
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you are enjoying your new ride.

I have a 98 and love mine.

Ride safe.

Ron

Old 07-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Man In Black
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2010 Heritage Classic and also love the bike, but I would suggest adding a Lenale cooling fan to reduce the heat on the rear cylinder. They do get warm even in cooler temps than what you mentioned. The Lenale fan looks great and mounts in the spot where your factory horn mounted and they have a horn relocation kit that moves your horn down on the front down tube. Everything looks like it was factory installed. You can get a great deal from the manufacturer on ebay.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you like the ride. Mine is a 2009 also and it has the best factory seat I've ever had on a bike. I've done 450 miles pretty much non stop with no problems. Enjoy and ride safe.

Attached Thumbnails First Ride on my new Heritage Classic-004.jpg  
Old 07-25-2010, 09:02 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did a search on that Lenale fan including this forum and seems there's loads of disatisfied customers. So do your research before dropping the $$.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Truckbizz
Account Deactivated

Congrats on the new scoot! Have fun and be safe

Old 07-25-2010, 09:43 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all for the information. I checked the Lenale fan and like another poster mentioned, the results I found were very mixed.

Personally I didn't mind the heat. I ride in the summer without windshield - one of the reasons I bought the Heritage instead of a touring bike. The heat is noticeable, but I also own a sport bike and the heat from the mufflers makes the Harley heat from the engine almost meaningless.

I was a bit surprised though to find that the touring models have the rear cylinder cutoff, but the Softail models don't. I thought they would have addressed that, but apparently Harley doesn't seem to think it's a big deal.

My other bike is a MV Agusta Brutale - ironically that is the brand that Harley bought in 2008 and is now trying to sell. Frankly, it's a great bike - totally opposite of what a Harley is. The combination of both in my garage lets me pick which tool I want for which job.

Both are highly entertaining, but I won't repeat my earlier mistake of selling my Harley Softail Deluxe. The Heritage is a keeper in every way.

Last edited by lencap; 07-25-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:10 AM
ron3005
Intermediate

yep agree with everything you say got a 1998 love it to bits

Old 07-26-2010, 02:22 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

I wouldn't be caught on a Heritage.....

Old 07-26-2010, 03:34 AM
Notorious688
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I gots me a 1999 FLSTC and I couldn't be happier... well... except if I had a few more big Harleys and a Desmosedici in the garage.

Quick Reply: First Ride on my new Heritage Classic