Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deuce needs some WHEELS! plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:01 PM
SVTlightning
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deuce needs some WHEELS! plz help!

Hey guys,

New here from Alabama.

I've been racking my brain about getting wheels now for about 7 months. I ride a 2000 Deuce. Just when I thought I had everything figured out I put the project on the back-burner and now what I wanted ISN'T AVAILABLE!

I wanted to go with an 18x5.5 spoker in the rear to get rid of the rear solid (I know there are lots of fans of that wheel, but I am not in that category). With lots of measuring, I can't see how I could fit larger than a 160/60-18 on that rim and still have a stock setup.

Here's what I actually DO know... The 2000 Deuce has 3/4" axles; correct me if I'm wrong. So, all the ads that say "2000-2008 Softails" and have axle sizes of 1" simply won't work for me (I know it will work with a change-out, but I don't own a press). I see people out there who have shaved things to get a 200 under the rear pan but I'm not going that route. And, hdwheels.com states that without modification, a 200/50-18 can be fit. Any clues on how to do this?

What I'm looking for is my cheapest option on doing an 18" chrome spoker, and when I say cheapest, I MEAN it! No 1,000 bills for a wheel. I'd like to just go with the ebay options available for about 350, and space it out myself. Anybody have any resources on doing this? I'm avoiding machining.

Any Deuce owners or people in the know got any info for me???

http://www.*****************/forums/ha...ussion-22.html

About 2/3 of the page down is EXACTLY what I'm going for but I want a 60 spoke. That bike is about as close looking to mine as I can get, minus the rear.

-Sean

Last edited by SVTlightning; 07-25-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: new?
Old 07-25-2010, 04:24 PM
AzDeuce
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the 18x5.5 rear spoke wheel with a 200 Metz the lazy way (Hogpro kit) All bolt on
All there is to the kit is wheel,tire narrow belt drive assy (pulley,belt&guards) off an 06 up standard/night train etc. They do have a chrome shield which goes under fender in front of rear tire. They might sell it seperately??

Old 07-25-2010, 06:46 PM
SVTlightning
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AzDeuce
I did the 18x5.5 rear spoke wheel with a 200 Metz the lazy way (Hogpro kit) All bolt on
All there is to the kit is wheel,tire narrow belt drive assy (pulley,belt&guards) off an 06 up standard/night train etc. They do have a chrome shield which goes under fender in front of rear tire. They might sell it seperately??

Yup. Thats exactly what I'm looking for. BUT, hogpro taking 1700 dollars of my money? hmmmm, that's not on the schedule.

I might look into piecing it and looking for a 20mm belt and pulley...

Old 07-26-2010, 02:25 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

i got my 18x5.5 off ebay for$150 ,it was for a chopper and had a wide hub on it,i had 13mm shaved off pulley side hub,bit of mocking and measuring and that was it! happy with the result especialy for the price,at the moment i run a 180 tyre,to go 200 i need the narrower belt and pulley off a 07, or i have a 2 piece billet pulley i got off e bay for $75, so being 2 piece i can shave some off that and get narrow belt part no;(40073-07)
on a DEUCE a 18x5.5 with a 200 will fit under the guard,not on a softail
my deuce is 2000

Old 07-27-2010, 09:43 PM
SVTlightning
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kiwideuce
i got my 18x5.5 off ebay for$150 ,it was for a chopper and had a wide hub on it,i had 13mm shaved off pulley side hub,bit of mocking and measuring and that was it! happy with the result especialy for the price,at the moment i run a 180 tyre,to go 200 i need the narrower belt and pulley off a 07, or i have a 2 piece billet pulley i got off e bay for $75, so being 2 piece i can shave some off that and get narrow belt part no;(40073-07)
on a DEUCE a 18x5.5 with a 200 will fit under the guard,not on a softail
my deuce is 2000
whats up bro. I was actually checking out your ride the other day while trying to find answers to this question.

I can see that you're running billet on the rear but WHERE did you take 13mm from? Did you have to re-tap the pulley mounting holes? I want to run a spoker so that will probably not be an option.

You say you're running a 180 rear? Is that NO modification at all? I found a pretty sick 18X5.5 60 spoke FOR a deuce on ebay. Pretty pricey at 350 bucks but if it's for a deuce at least I won't have issues. The problem I'm finding is that all the rims available on ebay are usually Ultima's and they are for an 84-99 model with 3/4 TAPERED bearings. unfortunately that won't work. I'm thinking that maybe I might just pick up the one for 350 if it's still there and work with that. I just can't measure out how even a 180 will fit with the stock 1" belt drive. The clearances don't seem to allow another 10mm of tire on the pulley side.

I might just invest in the 20mm belt and drive from an 07. Is the 07 pulley a 70T? The other question is that will I need to shim the pulley to compensate for the inward 5.4mm lost?

Point me in the right direction bro! Thanks!

PS: glad to see a zealander on here. got a lot of buddies from there when I was working in Korea.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:34 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SVTlightning
whats up bro. I was actually checking out your ride the other day while trying to find answers to this question.

I can see that you're running billet on the rear but WHERE did you take 13mm from? Did you have to re-tap the pulley mounting holes? I want to run a spoker so that will probably not be an option.

You say you're running a 180 rear? Is that NO modification at all? I found a pretty sick 18X5.5 60 spoke FOR a deuce on ebay. Pretty pricey at 350 bucks but if it's for a deuce at least I won't have issues. The problem I'm finding is that all the rims available on ebay are usually Ultima's and they are for an 84-99 model with 3/4 TAPERED bearings. unfortunately that won't work. I'm thinking that maybe I might just pick up the one for 350 if it's still there and work with that. I just can't measure out how even a 180 will fit with the stock 1" belt drive. The clearances don't seem to allow another 10mm of tire on the pulley side.

I might just invest in the 20mm belt and drive from an 07. Is the 07 pulley a 70T? The other question is that will I need to shim the pulley to compensate for the inward 5.4mm lost?

Point me in the right direction bro! Thanks!

PS: glad to see a zealander on here. got a lot of buddies from there when I was working in Korea.
hey
i took the 13mm off the inside of the pulley side hub! i had to remove the hub, have 13mm machined off the face that bolts to the wheel,so the inside,not were the pulley bolts up,13mm off the hub bolts too!,cost me $40 at a local engineer shop,this would not be normal,it was a wide hub wheel!
a 180 will fit no problems,i had to take 5mm i think it was off pulley side axle spacer,the difference of the factory 4.25 wide hub to the wider one!
so i think you may just need narrower axle spacer,dealers sells different sizes,or you can get them from drag specialties,it was easier for me to measure and have my one machined down
now for that wheel you like,if you dont think belt will clear tyre, you need one of these:https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...80-fat-o3.html
if you go 180,you dont need narrower belt and pulley,only if you go 200!
yeah 70 tooth i think!
hope this helps

Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member

hey lightning!! im sean too, lol