Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:56 AM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

don't let the wind worry you hell even in my 5000lb Chrysler I feel the wind go with the fatty

Old 07-25-2010, 11:42 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

This should be put in the General B/S forums...

Mimo.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:19 PM
ROMPUS
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been riding fatboy for five years now and always had wire wheels before that and I have not noticed anything different about the solid wheels.I don't linger around the big rigs long.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not again.

OMG!
Yet another thread on the Fatboy solid wheels!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:53 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thats an ugly rumor. i have had over 54000 miles on my bike and no wind problem. we had to pull over one day for a big storm and the ultra classic parked in front of me blew over from a 70 mph down burst and my fatboy barley moved. dont buy into the wind issue because there is no wind issue. when you spin a spoke wheel at 70 it is as solid as the fatboy.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:19 PM
rckelley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a sporty to a F/B Lo. I haven't really noticed a big difference with wind issues and wheels although I was warned about the same issue when i made my purchase. i think as long as you ride safe and keep the idea in the back of your head you'll be fine. I hardly doubt the wind will cause you to be thrown to another lane or even off the road entirely.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:49 PM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The wind does not bother me on the Fat Boy as much as it did on a lighter sport bike. I was blown across two lanes of road while on a lighter sport bike. The heavier weight of the Fat Bay seems to handle the wind better. I don't believe the wheels are affected by the wind. If you look at the baggers, the entire rear wheel is covered. I've never heard of them having trouble with wind. That said, if you are in a 70 mph cross wind you will be blown around, no matter what type of wheel is on the bike.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:04 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tmilo1000
The wind does not bother me on the Fat Boy as much as it did on a lighter sport bike. I was blown across two lanes of road while on a lighter sport bike. The heavier weight of the Fat Bay seems to handle the wind better. I don't believe the wheels are affected by the wind. If you look at the baggers, the entire rear wheel is covered. I've never heard of them having trouble with wind. That said, if you are in a 70 mph cross wind you will be blown around, no matter what type of wheel is on the bike.
Now that's a solid argument there. If you add the area created by the front fairing I bet it makes way more squared inches than the fat boy's wheels.

Mimo.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:05 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tk353
thats an ugly rumor. i have had over 54000 miles on my bike and no wind problem. we had to pull over one day for a big storm and the ultra classic parked in front of me blew over from a 70 mph down burst and my fatboy barley moved. dont buy into the wind issue because there is no wind issue. when you spin a spoke wheel at 70 it is as solid as the fatboy.
What he said. After about 40-50mph, wire wheels and solid wheels feel the same.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:28 PM
mickymoto
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a dyna wg with a aluminium fatboy rear wheel & a spoked front, that's just how I bought it. Passing trucks IMO you get blown around what ever your riding, but more so when your following them...as for cleaning, I think it is easier to clean the rear wheel being that you only have to clean the edge of it....spoked at the back would be a pain to clean the spokes in such a confined space.

Quick Reply: Fatboy Wheel Question