Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've got a Boner

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:31 AM
Alastor
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've got a Boner

Some of you might remember me from this thread.

Well, I've thought it over.

I have an interview next week for a new job contract. If I get the contract, I'm getting my boner.

Also, I just now saw the quiz on the Harley site that asks which bike is right for you, and it picked the boner as my best fit. I confess that I may have somewhat swayed my own answers based on what I wanted to do with my boner once I got it though.

I mean I might actually enjoy a touring seat position if I'd ever actually tried one, but I've only had standard, cruising and upright positions on all my other bikes, so that's what I chose because that's what I'm used to.

I also want a city bike and I want to be able to tour in the summer, but that's because I've envisioned myself doing so on this bike.

I also chose the raw, stripped down answer because this is the bike I like and it's raw and stripped down. Whether I liked raw and stripped down before I saw this bike or not is anyone's guess. Maybe I like raw and stripped down because I like this bike.

"Chicken or the egg?"

Anyway, I'd like to think it's a sign that the bike the Harley site picked for me is the bike I picked for me too.

Here's a picture of it with the black ice denim paint job I intend to get:

I'm so sure I want this bike that I went and started the paperwork today, even though it can't be processed until I get my contract next week (provided I actually get my contract, so root for me!).

Hell, I even have my new leather coat's artwork designed and I bought my bandannas to match the bike already. Granted, they only cost $.99 but that's still a sign of commitment, right? Maybe this is why I'm still single... Either that or the drinking habit. Or the fear of relationships. Or the fact that I'm really irritating when I want to be.

I'm rambling. I do that sometimes.

Anyway, this is the bike I want to buy. I'm also getting some quick release saddlebags, a quick release sissy bar, and quick release touring rack. I want it to be quick release because I'm lazy and don't want to spend two days taking this stuff off and putting it back on, but I prefer the stripped down appearance of no back seat, no sissy bar, no saddlebags and so on. I like it clean and raw.

I also have a quick release windshield on order. It's a 15 inch clear windshield, but my question is whether or not this is going to be enough to grant full frontal protection. I'm sick of eating bugs. I also wear glasses so I can't wear many types of other facial protection. I also don't wear a helmet (sorry, mom). So should I go with a 19 inch windshield instead?

Bear in mind I'm going to be riding in a very windy area. The wind is bad out here.

So even with all this, plus a new set of pipes that we've ball-parked at around $800, the quote I got is $22k for a bike that has 12 miles on it, three of which are mine from the test drive.

I guess most of this post is just me getting my excitement out.

I'm curious about the thoughts on the windshield though. Should I go up to a 19 inch shield or stick with my 15 inch? I really can't have rain and rocks hitting me in the face, and wind isn't my friend either - because again I wear glasses.

Is a 15 inch shield going to be adequate do you think?

And what do you think of my bike?

Last edited by Alastor; 07-22-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:02 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sound's like this bike ls 'you'. 15 inches on the windshield might be a little low. If you sit on the bike and have a sideview photo taken the windshield should be just about at the tip of your nose. That will give you adequate protection and still look good. Windshields mount in a lot of different ways so you really are not going to be able to tell until you put it on. Ride safe.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Blue Cross Bones
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the low windshield on mine and with the stock springer seat it's a NO GO. After I swap it with the bare bones or badlander seat then I get protection. Soo stock seat? 19 aftermarket? 15. I hope you get the contract because it seems your getting your hope up now and if you don't then you might be disappointed. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails I've got a Boner-0703164253side2_01fronts.jpg  

Last edited by Blue Cross Bones; 07-22-2010 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:30 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

Good luck on getting your bike. You sound like a kid making out a christmas wish list.

Shakey

Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I can understand your excitement. That is one really cool bike. I have a 99 FXSTC, but if I ever decided to go newer, the Bones would be the one I would want too. Just wish it had an EVO with a carb in it. LOL

Old 07-22-2010, 11:43 AM
meatsack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the Boner Owner club!!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Crossb0nes
Cruiser

Originally Posted by meatsack
I'm not quite sure he's got it just yet, but I got my fingers crossed !

Old 07-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations!

keeping my fingers crossed you get the contract.....

windshield height can be tricky.... I think you want the top of the shield to line up with the tip of your nose.... any higher and it interferes with your line of site... to much lower and it sends all of the wind straight to your head....
that's what I have heard... personally not a big fan of them...

so where is it so windy?

CC

Old 07-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meatsack

I think this has to STOP immediately!!!!

The last thing I want is someone to ask me if I enjoy riding a Boner!

CC

Old 07-22-2010, 12:29 PM
supercrewser
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One question, since the "BONER" is on a softail frame does that mean you have a "SOFT BONER"? Just asking.

Quick Reply: I've got a Boner