Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cruise Control

Been doing a few long rides as of late,and I was wondering....has anyone put electronic cruise control on a Heritage? It might be nice for those long trips.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:20 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't know of anyone who's actually done it, but there is a company that makes/sells an HD based unit setup for a Softail.

Only drawback is it costs around a $1000.

I changed the throttle lock on my bike for a "Throttle Locker", lots cheaper and useful. Even if it doesn't maintain speed on anything but level ground.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:08 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but...
I wanted to install cruise on my bike too..

The short answer is you almost can't. The MoCo purposely made it so the electronics / EFI on softails will not accept electronic cruise.
If you are really desperate a couple of companies make kludges utilizing a HD electronic cruise control with stepper motors to bypass the EFI. They make to the stepper motors actually pull your throttle cable. As the other gent said by the time your done it costs around $1000.
Apparently the MoCo thinks cruise has no place on a softail and if you really want cruise buy a touring bike.
That said, I bought a nice little lever for the throttle friction brake for $15 on Ebay. It is not real cruise, but it does allow me to flex my right hand now and then.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:34 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think that'll be a change coming in a year or so. Electronic throttles on most models and curise control. I use my throttle tension screw on long runs and it helps a lot.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd buy a tourer before I'd spend that kind of money on cruise control. Throttle rocker and one of those thumb activated thingees on the thottle tension star is good enough for me. Gotta be careful with the thumb thingee though as gloves can snag on it if you're not careful.

I do recall a member here (trailfndr?) who bought an expensive cruise control and was going to put it on his wife's Deluxe. Don't know if he ever got around to it or not.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:24 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i saw a web site where you can make one for under $100. it uses a 1999 chevy cruise unit that you can get used for about $40. then you have to adapt the cable to the throttle body.. because it is GM it can read the pulse from the Delphi system and will work just like in a car. the only drawback is you will need side bags to hide it in

Old 07-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah this would be for my wifes Softail,you can see from my sig pic I have a Touring Bike(which I love)where I get to use my cruise. I was thinking about the Breakaway Cruise System. Anyone used that type?

Old 07-16-2010, 07:21 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 07-16-2010, 07:29 PM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ain't cheap, but here ya go,

www.cruisemount.com

Old 07-16-2010, 08:22 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

I just made a perfect throttle lock for about $3. Go to a hardware store, plumbing section, and buy a big rubber O-ring. Tie a lace around it so you can pull it back when you don't want it. just roll it down to where the grip meets the control cover, and it jams the grip enough to hold it. You can still throttle down or up all you want, and just pull it back with whatever you tied to it when you get into city driving. when you get back from your trip, just roll it right off the grip.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control