Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Model A Tail Lamp on Softail Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Model A Tail Lamp on Softail Questions

Hey ALL,

I have seen a number of folks running this style of light on their softails, mostly in conjunction with some sort of side mounted tag mount. I was hoping you guys could fill me in on how you have yours operating. In the picture below, the lamp actually runs two separate single element bulbs. Do you guys wire it so that one bulb operates as a running light and the other as only a stop light? Any input would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Model A Tail Lamp on Softail Questions-model_a_taillamp.jpg  
Old 07-15-2010, 02:05 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't think they are legal.One thing to consider though,I want alot of light out back,might wake some dummy up.Had a friend killed years ago riding a old Pan with a tiny dim tail light,got ran over from behind.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by FastHoss
Don't think they are legal.One thing to consider though,I want alot of light out back,might wake some dummy up.Had a friend killed years ago riding a old Pan with a tiny dim tail light,got ran over from behind.
Thanks for the concerns.

I am aware that they are not DOT. I wonder what about them makes them non-DOT? The amount of light maybe?

The ones I plan on running are not the smaller kind that are pretty popular, especially as side mounted lights. Those are usually not much more than 3" in diameter if that. These are reproduction lights which are almost 4" around. Additionally, I don't plan on this being the only light behind me so hopefully I won't suffer from any lack of night time visibility.

Anyhow...appreciate the feedback and concern.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the bulbs single or dual filament?
My guess is single...
I would wire the bottom as a running light and the bulb over the "Stop" as a brake light...

as far as being seen.... I bought a controller so my turns act as run/stop lights....
it helps...as they are brighter as stop lights than my led bulb in my tail light...

CC

Old 07-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cheesecake
Are the bulbs single or dual filament?
My guess is single...
I would wire the bottom as a running light and the bulb over the "Stop" as a brake light...

as far as being seen.... I bought a controller so my turns act as run/stop lights....
it helps...as they are brighter as stop lights than my led bulb in my tail light...

CC
Correct. They are both single. What you describe is what they are probably meant to do.

I have the run/stop/turn module in my Bones now so I actually have a number of options for rear lighting. I wonder if I can change the sockets out for dual filament? I found a sight that sells the sockets for these style lights. Just not sure how easy a mod it would be! Guess I won't know until I try it!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I wonder if I can change the sockets out for dual filament? I found a sight that sells the sockets for these style lights. Just not sure how easy a mod it would be! Guess I won't know until I try it!
I did it once.... I had ordered a pair of turns...to replace a pair of old ones... I messed up and ordered singles...I just took the old doubles and swapped them with the singles.... If memory serves me right there was some soldering /desoldering involved....

Have you thought about what your going to do with the old taillight/ fender? or is this an addition....

CC

Old 07-15-2010, 06:51 PM
spooner
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This is mine on back of my '79 Sportster. They are single filament bulbs, one for a running light and one for the brake light. They are surprisingly bright.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:05 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I put the Tail, turn, brake kit on the rear,, I also want as much light back there as i can get

Old 07-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cheesecake
I did it once.... I had ordered a pair of turns...to replace a pair of old ones... I messed up and ordered singles...I just took the old doubles and swapped them with the singles.... If memory serves me right there was some soldering /desoldering involved....

Have you thought about what your going to do with the old taillight/ fender? or is this an addition....

CC
I think I will buy the lights and then swap out one of the sockets in each for a dual filamet.

I replaced the stock rear fender for a Fatboy Lo and I am doing a custom setup with a couple of these as apposed to using the stock Fatboy light. Not sure yet what I am going to do with the old fender and light assembly. I may keep the fender and chop it just to try that out sometime or sell it if someone would be interested.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by spooner
This is mine on back of my '79 Sportster. They are single filament bulbs, one for a running light and one for the brake light. They are surprisingly bright.
So the top portion is dark until you hit the breaks?

Love the scoot, by the way!

Quick Reply: Model A Tail Lamp on Softail Questions