Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Comfort for Wife :-)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010 | 05:01 AM
Bobby H
Cruiser

I'll do that two, I get home mid-August and the seats should be waiting for me (I hope, one to three week back order on the solo). I'll get pics of all the upgrades since I've had her and post them here. We'll do a trial run from Elizabethtown, KY to Rabbit Hatch and back, couple of hundred miles and if that goes good I'll see if I can convince her to ride down the BRP and Dragon. I'll post pics of that as well and let you know how she likes the new seat. Ride safe.

Old 07-18-2010 | 07:16 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
I have the Bossbags kit and it hasn't been a problem with my 14" pillion.
Rooting around in my bags yesterday trying to get something out. Pain in the *** because they don't open far enough to look straight down into.
Just double checked. The 14" wide touring pillion is definitely wider than inside mounting edges of my saddle bags, making it impossible for them to open all the way. Now I have 2009 with the "wide rear end" so thats not the issue. Also you have the Boss Bags domed lids which should require an extra 1' or so to fully open...
I gotta call bullshit on this one....

Old 07-18-2010 | 07:38 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Rooting around in my bags yesterday trying to get something out. Pain in the *** because they don't open far enough to look straight down into.
Just double checked. The 14" wide touring pillion is definitely wider than inside mounting edges of my saddle bags, making it impossible for them to open all the way. Now I have 2009 with the "wide rear end" so thats not the issue. Also you have the Boss Bags domed lids which should require an extra 1' or so to fully open...
I gotta call bullshit on this one....
BS? I said it wasn't an issue with ME so how is that bullshit. Guess I never saw the need to open my bags all the way to look down inside of them. Not like they're the most accessible bags anyway with the narrowed tops.

Most of my stuff I carry in pull out cases, carrybags or whatever so it comes out as a unit. Can of oil or tool I can reach down and feel for. That's the way I did it with the stock seat and that's how I do it with the 14". So there is no noticible difference to me. On the other hand if one was used to opening the lid all the way and looking into the bag I suspose the extra width would be a problem.

So.........not bs, just a different experience.

Old 07-18-2010 | 07:59 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
BS? I said it wasn't an issue with ME so how is that bullshit. Guess I never saw the need to open my bags all the way to look down inside of them. Not like they're the most accessible bags anyway with the narrowed tops.

Most of my stuff I carry in pull out cases, carrybags or whatever so it comes out as a unit. Can of oil or tool I can reach down and feel for. That's the way I did it with the stock seat and that's how I do it with the 14". So there is no noticible difference to me. On the other hand if one was used to opening the lid all the way and looking into the bag I suspose the extra width would be a problem.

So.........not bs, just a different experience.
OIC
I thought you you were saying your bags did open all the way...
When you where actually saying it doesn't bother you that they don't.
In that case... You have my humble apology... I misunderstood your comment.
I was just trying to make sure that the OP was aware of a potential downside to wide pillions.