Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010 | 01:49 AM
mac0478
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Soft06
I have had the HD Premium oil cooler on my bike for over 3 yrs and am pleased with the results. Here is a picture that shows it pretty good.

Is it an easy unit to install? It gets bloody hot here in Western Australia!

Old 07-16-2010 | 02:48 AM
dlongo8241
Tourer

Soft06.....I just installed the same one on my completely stock 2010 fatboy...I left the chrome cover off though. I was concerned about the way it mounts with just sealent. Is it pretty secure? did you use the recommended sealent or did you use something else? I'm thinking its just high temp gasket sealer. I was a little concerned about the clutch cable rubbing on the cooler for it touches on the edge...any problems with that?

Old 07-16-2010 | 08:10 AM
aceckel
Intermediate

I just installed one of these. http://www.jagg.com/jagg%20files/jag...l-lowmount.htm Jagg 6 row horizontal. Based on my research from this forum, I preferred this style because it did not block any air from coming across the front cylinder - thus potentially making the bike actually run hotter. Yes, it requires relocating the voltage regulator, but the kit comes with a simple bracket to do so. It gets relocated <2" higher, there is plenty of room for this, looks completely stock, and no drilling or splicing of wires was required. There is plenty of slack in the wiring harness to move it easily. Also important to mention this cooler in no way comes even close to being too low to the ground. The snippet pic on the web site is deceiving but it is actually above the frame rails. I.e., if you took out your oil cooler, you'd also be seriously bottoming out your bike (and probably crashing). Last but not least, this was a super high quaility fit and finish and fit like a glove. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Old 07-16-2010 | 08:36 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dlongo8241
Soft06.....I just installed the same one on my completely stock 2010 fatboy...I left the chrome cover off though. I was concerned about the way it mounts with just sealent. Is it pretty secure? did you use the recommended sealent or did you use something else? I'm thinking its just high temp gasket sealer. I was a little concerned about the clutch cable rubbing on the cooler for it touches on the edge...any problems with that?

Yes I used the sealent that came with the kit. Very secure, over 28K on the bike since it was installed. No problems with the clutch cable at all.

Old 07-16-2010 | 08:37 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mac0478
Is it an easy unit to install? It gets bloody hot here in Western Australia!
The install was easy, just take your time.

Old 07-16-2010 | 01:41 PM
cwsharp
|
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks everyone!

Old 07-17-2010 | 08:04 AM
handyhoward
Road Master

Oil coolers are a waste of money... with the synthetic oils that are available now there is not the need to "cool" your engine like there was in the past. Unless you sit still for extended periods of time and rap on your throttle the entire time, the synthetic oils will keep right on lubing and cooling your engine. $.02

Old 07-17-2010 | 04:19 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer

Can't be that much of a waste...the cvo's and ultra's come with them from the factory.

Old 07-17-2010 | 06:13 PM
handyhoward
Road Master

Originally Posted by dlongo8241
Can't be that much of a waste...the cvo's and ultra's come with them from the factory.
That's right... let's add a few bucks to sticker price and make these bikes special. Keep rooting for the home team there sport.

Old 07-17-2010 | 07:21 PM
Micah
5th Gear

Originally Posted by handyhoward
That's right... let's add a few bucks to sticker price and make these bikes special. Keep rooting for the home team there sport.
Wow, just wow. All oils do better and last longer when they are kept cooler dino synthetic and all combos.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Advice