Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe vs Heritage Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 05:50 PM
singring
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deluxe vs Heritage Bikes

Aside from the whitewall tires and lower seat on the Deluxe, and the windshield, passing lights, backrest, and bags on the Heritage, are there any notable differences in the bikes themselves? For instance:
1. Do they both handle the same?
2. Which bike has the highest ground clearance, and which bike will scrape boards first, in similar turns?
3. Any differences in suspension?
4. Engines are exactly the same, so engine vibration should be felt equally in handgrips, seat, etc.
5. Anything else that I haven't mentioned?

Went to a demo ride yesterday, rode a Low Rider, and a Softail Custom. I also wanted a ride on a Heritage, but it was booked up for the rest of the day. I loved the Softail Custom, what a great bike, but I would prefer a bike with a full sized front tire, so my buying choice is narrowed down to either the Deluxe or the Heritage. If you folks could give me your opinions, that would really help, then I will further base my selection on accessories included on the Heritage.
Thanks

Old 08-28-2006, 06:20 PM
DMSC
Road Master
Default RE: Deluxe vs Heritage Bikes

If you lowered the rear of a Heritage 3/4" (I did using the H-D profile low shocks) just as they do on the Deluxe...the two bikes ride the same. Your hand position is different due to them having different handbars. Other than that, they ride a like.

At stock ride height, the Deluxe wil scrapa smidge soone than a Heritage. Not a LOT sooner...in fact, depending on your riding style/rider weight, you may not even notice a difference. I did not scrap at all before i lowered my Heritage. I've only scraped twice after I lowered it.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not positive but I think the front on the Deluxe is also lowered 1".

Old 08-28-2006, 08:36 PM
hawker
Advanced

We have both. I tend to like the feel of the Heritage better, however the Deluxe is also a fun bike to ride, I am 5ft 8 and the Deluxe seems a little small for me. I think they are the best two bikes they make.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Mike05
Tourer

I tried the Deluxe, but got the Heritage Classic because of the extra goodies. I think the Heritage will still maintain a decent ground clearance when riding two-up.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:49 PM
midwesttom
Cruiser

I looked at both bikes as well didn't like the bars on the delux but I'm 6ft 2in. But I liked the white wall look. So I got the Heritage with the wide white walls and never looked back. I think they ride the same just the setup is different. You can't go wrong either way. And I did like all the goodies with the Heritage. Good luck Tom

Old 08-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

I scraped mine the first ride leaving the dealer.....
ORIGINAL: DMSC

If you lowered the rear of a Heritage 3/4" (I did using the H-D profile low shocks) just as they do on the Deluxe...the two bikes ride the same. Your hand position is different due to them having different handbars. Other than that, they ride a like.

At stock ride height, the Deluxe wil scrapa smidge soone than a Heritage. Not a LOT sooner...in fact, depending on your riding style/rider weight, you may not even notice a difference. I did not scrap at all before i lowered my Heritage. I've only scraped twice after I lowered it.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:10 PM
DMSC
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Akitakoi

I'm not positive but I think the front on the Deluxe is also lowered 1".
The Deluxe isn't lowered any in the front...just lowered 3/4" in the rear.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Mikester48
Advanced

On the HD web site they show the Deluxe seat height to be 1.5" lower than the Classic, that may make a difference to you. I have a friend who just bought the Deluxe to get the lower seat height, he's about 5'6" I think. Either choice would be a good one.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:15 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

The Deluxe is about the best looking bike that HD makes right now, but the Heritage is a better value. The Deluxe is lower and is going to scrape sooner. Other than that, they should be almost the same as far as handling, ride , etc. goes.

The Heritage just comes with a windshield, bags, etc. for about the same money as the Deluxe without.

Regards,

Bill

Quick Reply: Deluxe vs Heritage Bikes