Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod driven sound system

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 AM
porkpie
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod driven sound system

Hello All,
I am new here, so I apologize if I am in the wrong place here posting. I have a 2005 Softail that I have put hard bags and a tour pac on. I wish to add the luxury of an Ipod driven sound system to my tour pac. I was told by people at Biketronics and Hog tunes this could be done. I have drilled the holes in my newly painted tour pak and mounted the rather pricey hd speaker pods in preparation for my new purchases from said vendors. I go to order the Titan amp and 5.25" speakers and get told the Ipod will not have sufficient power to drive the speakers. Now what? I now have a tour pac with empty speaker pods and no tunes. I really don't want to go the expense of an after market fairing. Can anyone suggest a solution that will work and sound great. This is what I have set up, I have installed the HD 12 volt cigarette lighter assembly and purchased a usb power adapter from Best Buy. I have routed the wires from my battery to tour pac and purchased the Hog tunes 5.25" speakers. Speakers look to have rca connector inputs. I have held off o the titan amp purchase until I can verify this can be done
Many Thanks,
Porkpie

Old 07-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm an audio-dummy myself, but I know it can be done. I think you need some type of AMP or something ?

All I know is I got a buddy who runs his sounds via a zune and when he pulls up to some garage band or DJ, You'll hear his sounds over the event.
I'll see if I can ask about his set-up over this weekend.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:20 PM
porkpie
6th Gear

Ah Yeah, that's what I'm talkin. Thanks.......

Old 07-14-2010, 12:33 PM
wildrooster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple set up. From ipod to amp. Amp to speakers. Simple power to amp and your done. Use the opossums to adjust the volume as simple as can be

Old 07-14-2010, 12:35 PM
wildrooster
Tourer

That's ipod not opossums. Damn phone spelling

Old 07-14-2010, 01:05 PM
porkpie
6th Gear

Thanks Wild Rooster,
Good name, we had chickens when I was growing up,....wild rooster brings up some harrowing memories.
Hmmmn, That is what I had planned. Battery to 12 volt adapter thru usb to IPod head jack to amp/speakers. Sounds simple but I got a lecture about needing 2 ohm inputs balanced on speakers and possibly over driving the amp because of insufficient power behind IPod. I guess reason being is 12 volt is filtered to iPod input thru USB/IPod charger and the output from IPod is small. Maybe a new approach to driving the amp?
Porkpie

Old 07-14-2010, 02:17 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 07-14-2010, 02:44 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default amp

I am running hog tunes it has a fifty watt amp but the speakers are small if you mount them on the handle bars there OK. I mounted mine on the engine guards and i can just about here them not a good spot.Kuryakyn also has a system self contained

Last edited by nikonf8; 07-14-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:52 PM
wildrooster
Tourer

You can pick up a small amp with a built in usb port for next to nothing on fleabay hook your ipod in to that port to charge it. You will run a stereo / rca cord from ipod to the amp and speaker wires from the amp to the speakers. Power is easy you will have a constant and a remote wire hook both up together to a switched power wire and done

Old 07-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Colorado08FLSTCI
Advanced

Another source that I use is www.gooddeals18.com. They are cheap in price but so far, I'm impressed with the sound. Search for motorcycle/marine audio. There are many different configurations you can chose from. Systems with AM/FM tuners, multiple inputs, more watts, etc. I've got the 100 watt, no radio tuner set up. I've had it on my Heritage for a year and a half and love it. Including a Kuryakan mount, the speakers/amp, and a Sansa Fuze, I have a sound system that cost under $175 that blasts out a stock Harley Ultra sound system. The paint on the plastic speakers is fading but easily fixed with a can of chrome paint or buying a set of metal/chrome speakers. The biggest thing you need is the amp to boost the iPod output to the speakers.

Here's the link to a set up similar to mine. It's changed a bit, but pretty much the same: http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/S...eakersamp.html

Quick Reply: Ipod driven sound system