Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Heritage Darksider~afaik

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:07 AM
ozarksoutlaw
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dog, what made ya go to 50psi in the Austone? Mine felt squishy at 36 and I thought you said that was ok for the Comtrex but the Austone needed 38. 38 seems good but curious what the difference is at 50? I might be mistaken on this and I can try it for myself this weekend When we ride to Fayetteville Arkansas to BBB, but would appreciate your opinion.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:57 AM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ozarksoutlaw
Hey Dog, what made ya go to 50psi in the Austone? Mine felt squishy at 36 and I thought you said that was ok for the Comtrex but the Austone needed 38. 38 seems good but curious what the difference is at 50? I might be mistaken on this and I can try it for myself this weekend When we ride to Fayetteville Arkansas to BBB, but would appreciate your opinion.
Still waiting on the response to this...

Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Yooz talkin' ta ME????
I run 48-50 because I have one of the wobblers. As stated, dyna beads didn't fix this one, but Ride-On helped raise the ceiling a bit; I can do 85 but no more on it. It was going into wobble-city at 70 with no balance and no beads/gunk in it. Higher pressure helps that with the detriment of chasing grooves and stuff, but cornering is just as outstanding as with the Comtrac. Braking, rain riding, excellent.
If I run lower pressures, it doesn't track, but wobbles come on earlier. Still a mystery why other Austones have no wobble at any speed.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:45 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

I hope mine is one of them

Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

That doesn't wobble that is...

Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

So I'm about to pull the trigger on this, I've got the info and a source for the Austone, but has anyone found a different one yet?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Yeah...I can wiggle a 6mm drill bit between my tire and fender at the close point. that should mean I can get a 185 in there.
Now, that leaves me with a problem: 185/55, 185/60 are the available tire sizes, and I have torque cams. I'd love a 185/70, but it's not made. Firestone has one, but it's astronomically priced.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Poor_Dog
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terryrh
So I'm about to pull the trigger on this, I've got the info and a source for the Austone, but has anyone found a different one yet?
There are some other brands out there, unfortunately I have them book marked on my work computer. I ran an Austone for over a year and really liked it, however you can get a high speed wobble out of it. I tried everything to get rid of it, air pressure, balancing... nothing seemed to work. Finally I dropped the air pressure to 20 psi and rode for roughly 500 miles under inflated and that didn't work either. Basically giving up, I ran the PSI back up to 35 and the wobble was gone, up to triple digits. I don't know if that cured it or if it was the fact that the tire had accumulated over 12k on it..

I'll post some links up in the morning of some tires that may work, aspect ratio says they will, but I don't know of anyone who has tried them. I do know the Austone will absolutely fit and perform fine with a little experimentation.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Old 12-02-2012, 09:41 PM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys, it's been quite a while since i've checked in here ( obviously ) as life's been pretty hectic, between the job, playing in two bands, the GF, yada yada

i upped my tire pressure because Quad upped his hoping to help with his wobble, i have no wobble, but i upped the pressure & it felt good, so it stays at 50psi.

i'm running a tubeless fatty wheel, so no tubes. iirc Quad, didn't you go to a Fatty wheel also ?

next front tire that goes on will be the Shinko ( thanks Quad for the heads up )

them bags look great on your scoot Quad, i've got a friend running the same bags & i'm amazed at how much stuff he can pack in them

didn't put as many miles on my Fatty this year, as i picked up another bike & built it up to commute thru this crazy traffic here in the Bay Area

Quick Reply: First Heritage Darksider~afaik