Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines Baffle modification

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:24 AM
HDdad
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Quick update on the mod. Have the stage 1 complete, Fuel Moto's Dynojet EFI tuner installed, and modified baffles in the pipes. The modification of the baffles cost me ~$10.00.
The bike runs significantly cooler now with the proper power mgmt and air intake; performance is unbelievably better, much quicker response on the throttle and NO pops or hesitation. Sound is fantastic on the mods with NO effect on performance. Only downside to the whole thing was a drop in gas mileage. Don't know how much yet, but noticable. In my opinion, well worth the extra gas though

Old 07-29-2010, 08:43 PM
jpollard62
Cruiser
Cool Vance & Hines Baffle modification

Tried to use the Wood Stove gasket as indicated but it makes it too thick to get back in the pipes. I pulled it tight and tried using a wire wrap but still too tight. I ended up splitting the gasket to flatten it and I was able to get it back in the pipes. Sound was lower but I think after riding awhile the gasket may have slipped as sound grew louder after about 4 hours riding. Need to pull out to check....

Old 07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master

I tried the stove gasket last weekend, and used a db meter on my phone to measure the difference. It made a whopping 1db difference, which isn't enough for my Rineharts to pass the bylaw.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:39 PM
bloomington g
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tk353
you can get it quieter if you use the drain plug ideal that was on the forum.
Link?

Old 07-30-2010, 09:48 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 07-31-2010, 01:48 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

BCT QQ2 Baffles + Home made secondary resonators

Excellent tone, moderate volume at idle and small throttle openings yet retains all the traditional sound at moderate to WOT.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 06-20-2017 at 02:16 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:55 PM
jpollard62
Cruiser

Made that resonator mod to Quiet Baffles also but I don't like the sound now....Looking to use the Smartpartz Baffle along with another set of Quiet Baffles.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:18 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default V&H

I was running the Vance and Hines true duels before i changed to the Sampson mini cho los, I was running the quiet baffles in mine and the bike ran great. i decided i wanted it to make more noise so i pulled the quite baffles out and put in the original ones that come with the pipes. it ran like crap hesitation at low rpm and i was not to happy about that it was also a little more noise than i wanted. I put the quiet baffles back without the packing. This was a good combo the bike ran great again and the sound was up a bit. The thing is that i needed the back pressure. the quiet baffles are closed at the end. the original ones are open at the end. so you can run the original baffles that come with them that would make the most noise. you can run quiet baffles sound good maybe a little to quiet for some and then you can run quiet without the packing material that comes wraped around them this give you a nice sound a little more noise.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 AM
handyhoward
Road Master

Just curious... did this give the pipes a deeper sound? I like loud, but want to rumble deeper when idling.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:56 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

the baffles i made my self give the loudest possible and the deep rumble and enough back pressure to give you TQ

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines Baffle modification