Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Bones

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 06:24 AM
Alastor
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross Bones

Greetings everyone.

I was raised on motorcycles. I got my first one when I was about 5. I had one until I was about 26 and finally sold it. That was about 10 years ago.

Recently my uncle and my brother both bought Harleys though, and since then I've taken them for a few rides. I've fallen back in love and I remembered why I loved motorcycles all my life.

I've been looking at bikes and there are a couple that have my attention. One is the Cross Bones.

I was wondering what your guys' impressions of this bike were, and if anyone owns one and if so what has your experience been like?

It's been a while since I rode bikes regularly, but I definitely feel the urge and will probably get one in the near future. The Cross Bones is one I'm looking closely at, so your input would be very appreciated.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Blue Cross Bones
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a cross bones and love it, What is it about the cross bones that attract you to it?

Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Alastor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blue Cross Bones
I have a cross bones and love it, What is it about the cross bones that attract you to it?
I gotta confess, it's the aesthetics and the rebellious nature of the bike. Even now that I'm a "big boy" and have a real job and college degrees and all that crap, I still find that while not a disruption, I'm definitely a rebel and a lone wolf in my life. I prefer solitude and character over abundance and flights of fancy. It's a sophisticated bike with an intelligent bad attitude.

This bike just kind of spoke to me from the style. It's got the softail frame, gears, and engine, and it rides accordingly (read "superbly"). It's also got the fat tires and the rugged look, like it's built for the street but could easily handle a trail if needed.

It's got the solo seat standard, which I really appreciate because I don't take passengers anyway.

I also really dig the color of the bike (the Vivid Blue I think it's called). Satin finished, not glossy, and changes depending on perspective - like me.

Additionally, I can add an extended seat if I want, get a sissy bar, windshield, and saddle bags. This bike seems like it would do fine on long road trips if properly equipped for comfort.

So while it appears very minimalistic it's easily converted for a much more arduous journey if I want to go that rout.

Oh, also it's a fundamentally sound motorcycle that is very well constructed and seems to be on the cutting edge of technology while sporting that appreciation for history. It's me on two wheels.

In essence, I wish to make sweet, sweet love to it.

Last edited by Alastor; 07-12-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:19 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading your last post, I went down and stroked my Crossbones. I love it. I went from a touring frame (Road King) to this bike and have no real regrets. There are a few things I miss about the Road King, but nothing that makes me wish I hadn't done it

Old 07-09-2010, 07:56 AM
Hokie_HD
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alastor - The Crossbones is a great motorcycle. The styling (a nice mix of black and polished steel) really turns heads. It's very comfortable and with all Harley's, there's a ton of aftermarket accessories out there to make it your own. You'll enjoy it!

My experience is with sportbikes so it was a pleasant (aka comfortable) change. I initially thought the weight difference would be an issue. It's actually easier to maneuver than my SV1000 was. The weight is low and since you have handlebars and not clip-ons, you have a greater range of motion.

The only thing that I can think of that's a "good to know" is the heat that comes off the engine. Since it's air-cooled, it does radiate heat. I try not to ride when it's really hot outside and I know I'll be stuck in traffic (made that mistake once). That's really the only thing I can think of. Other than that, it's a great bike.

Good luck...

Old 07-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Blue Cross Bones
Cruiser

Totally agree with what your saying, Some people ask about the springer front and wether it's hard or sloppy..It's great and I love it. As far as the heat goes I have exhaust wrap and it helps a lot. Keep us posted if you purchase it and of course send us pictures!!!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

Im 23 and my first HD is the Crossbones. I love it she's very easy to handle... at first it was a little tough to throw her around but I got used to it. The springer front end is great and I have no issues with it as well.

Just be prepared to get some aftermarket pipes the stock ones are soooo quiet.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:38 AM
2grouse
Advanced

I have a crossbones, and wouldn't have anything else. It's an attention getter, very easy and comfortable to ride. You never wana get off. It makes me feel like a rebel again, and I'm 62.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:21 PM
skipper469
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
After reading your last post, I went down and stroked my Crossbones. I love it. I went from a touring frame (Road King) to this bike and have no real regrets. There are a few things I miss about the Road King, but nothing that makes me wish I hadn't done it
I must admit..... After your description of why you were attracted to the Crossbones, I went and stroked mine too.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Hammy
Tourer

I really like mine, I added a Corbin dual tour seat and Bassani Road Rage Pipe (stock pipes are way too quiet) Linby Multi Bar and xbones saddlebags. The springer is alot different than the modern forks and takes quite some time to break in on a new bike (mine was really stiff for the first 1200 miles) but now it works great. The kuryakyn under seat heatshields actually work pretty good..

Quick Reply: Cross Bones