Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker 240 wheel/tire on 200 tire Softail Standard ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Syclone354
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rocker 240 wheel/tire on 200 tire Softail Standard ??

Hi All,
This may have been asked, but i couldnt find it. Did find a nice 14 page thread on fat tires but the last posts were from 2008.

My question. What would I need to put a rocker c 240 wheel and tire combo on my 07 FXST? Im sure the swingarm, fender, etc would need to be changed. The question is though, would I be able to use a factor rocker swingarm, wheel and tire, brake disc and pulley, on a softail standard that currently has a 200 tire.

I want a 240 tire. I dont like any bigger, and the 200 just isnt quite enough. I bought the 07 new off the lot, first thing ive ever bought new and thats only cause i got it for $11,200 out the door (long story). I have a somewhat sentimental attachement to the bike and really want to keep it and make it what i want, but everytime i see a rocker or 240 tire v-rod i think i may want to sell it and get something different.

I have a line on a good deal for a rocker c 240 rear wheel and tire. I also want to put a 5 spoke wheel on the front of my bike (always liked that look too). It got me thinking that I may be able to use rocker c parts to convert my bike to a 240 tire.

So, anyone who has done this, thought about doing it, etc please chime in.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:15 PM
PowerSmoke
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Syclone--
I have a 2006, also with the 200.
I asked the same question about a month ago. I really like the look of the Rocker wheels and tires.

I was told, quite bluntly, that theres no way this will work.
However--Im sure if you went with a heartland 240/250 kit, or one of the others like it, it ought to be doable.
I cant see why it wouldnt work--however, I have no idea if the wheels will even match up with the pulley or the brakes or anything else....

I hope you can find (us) an answer.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:29 AM
Syclone354
Advanced

Yea without having the parts in hand its hard to tell. I think im going to go somewhere and get some measurements from a rocker. As far as I can see its still the same softail frame. The swingarms look very similar. The wheel is only 1" wider than the 17x7 wheel thats on my bike now.

I would think the swingarm, wheel and tire would mount right up, after that its making the brakes and belt work then the fender (ill have to measure my fender i wouldnt be suprised if it fit under there).

I'd love to hear or see pics from someone who has done this, or if there is a rocker owner who wouldnt mind helping us out let me know. Main thing would be measurements of the width of the swingarm at the pivot points and from the pivot bolts to the axle.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:26 AM
DevilDogg
Tourer

If you do decide to go with another bike...I have an 08 Rocker-C with several mods including an arnott airsuspension I'd let go for a reasonable price. I'm in Afghanistan and I'd rather someone else enjoy it and just get something new when I get back. Just PM if you want to discuss it.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:58 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Heartland 250 kit would do the trick for you. They are not cheap, but I can get you a nice discount on one.

Drew

Old 07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Nick-O
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Heartland Kit is probably your answer. You have to change the drive train offset to go wider, not just the swingarm. The primary and drive pulley have to be moved out as well to accommodate the change. It is certainly doable.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:02 PM
five star
Stage IV

Go with the chrome rims. The stock rocker rims are a lot of wokr to keep up with.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything is possible! however buy a kit that is designed for your bike that way the guessing is eliminated...

Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 PM
cspcrx
Tourer

wasnt there a CVO softail with a 240mm.
Is the frame different on those bikes?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Syclone354
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try and get a couple measurements from a stock rocker swingarm. I would be very suprised if the outside to outside measurements at the pivot points on the frame would be different. If they are the same, i know the swingarm will bolt up, which means i can use stock rocker spacers axle etc etc.

Once I have a swingarm, wheel and tire and brake bolted up, I can either use rocker drivetrain parts (its still a 96b and 6 speed just like mine) to move the output and belt out to clear. If for some reason I can not (not likely), I am fully capable of machineing my own parts (spacers or whatever needed) to move the belt out. Looking at the heartland 250 kit it says it reuses the factory belt and pulleys using an "offset kit" which im sure is a couple spacers.

Its not a matter of "can it be done", its just a matter of "how much work to do it".

Im not a huge fan of "kits", kits are just a group of parts made in bulk so anyone can have it.

I will definitely keep this thread alive...

Quick Reply: Rocker 240 wheel/tire on 200 tire Softail Standard ??