Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rakaposhi leather saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:07 AM
taino
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Rakaposhi leather saddlebags

I was wondering if someone can give me a review on the RAKAPOSHI LEATHER SADDLEBAGS if you own the bags. I was considering buying a set since they go for half the price of HD parts and the mounting brackets are included
thanks in advance

Old 06-28-2010, 11:37 AM
stevieg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got them for my Heritage a couple months ago. I'll include a picture. I had my Indy install them and he ended up using the stock brackets off my Heritage. I went back and forth with Jim (don't know if that's his real name) and they're made in India or Pakistan or something. I ended up paying a total of about $375 for them and they actually seem fairly solid, especially on the inside. I'm not sure if the outside is leather or faux leather and I'm not sure how it will wear but I was anxious to get away from the studs (no offense to anyone) as I intentionally got my C&C seat without them. I was spoiled because I had Boss bags on my Dyna (which I bought used on this site) and they're not in that league but it would've cost me $1,100 with hardware for those. Also, the stitching was coming apart a little where the lids and bags meet and had a local leather guy reinforce them for about $30. All in all I'm happy with them but they're not the ultimate bags.
I emailed "Jim" and told him I appreciated him working with me (he actually streamlined the bags from what they usually make for a Heritage) and he always got back to me via email. I also told him he needed to pay more attention to quality control and that I wouldn't bad mouth them but I wasn't going to go out of my way to recommend them. Don't know if this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Rakaposhi leather saddlebags-heritagecrp4640.jpg  
Old 06-28-2010, 12:35 PM
taino
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for taking the time with the post. good info. They say they are 100% leather. But as you mention, they dont look like the HD bags. YOu mentioned that you used the stock hardware; are you using quick release hardware? Still undecided as I said earlier they are 50% cheaper than the HD part but if Im going to have to buy the hardware anyways form the stealer might as well get the real parts for the crossbones. The other reason I was looking at these bags is because they seem bigger than the crossboness saddlebags. Anyways, thanks again for all the help

Old 06-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's definitely a 'different' look. I kind of like it. Sound's like a great price too. All of Harley's other accessories come from some other country so what's the difference?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:13 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior

They're a little bigger than the stock Heritage bags. In fact, I had to have the chrome bag guards taken off as the new bags wouldn't fit with them. But, I would have had to do that with the Boss bags as well. They are NOT quick release. Doesn't bother me because I discovered with my Streetbob that I ended up keeping them on all the time even though those were quick release. Eventually, I might get some better bags but for now these will do. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:11 PM
newellwb
Stage I

You get what you pay for, but these are definitely on the upper end of the scale. I went to Ace Hardware and picked up four 3/8" x 1-1/4" course thread allen head bolts to mount them on my '09 FXDF (about $2/each). The hex bolts won't work because a socket won't fit in the counter-sunk bolt holes in the bracket.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:42 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Nice and large and flow with the rear fender. If possible, moving them back and up a bit may help them fit the rear fender even better. Not a big deal, just a dumazz opinion and observation.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:43 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by taino
I was wondering if someone can give me a review on the RAKAPOSHI LEATHER SADDLEBAGS if you own the bags. I was considering buying a set since they go for half the price of HD parts and the mounting brackets are included
thanks in advance
A little off topic but ive got a set of Osprey "Bull Bags " ( all leather and reinforced with stainless steel and plastic to hold shape) with EZ Brackets and the EZ Bracket carrying handle for transporting the bags off the bike for sale in the Classifieds $ 300.00 OBO including Shipping

Here a pic of them on my bike

Attached Thumbnails Rakaposhi leather saddlebags-fatboy-bags1-2e1.jpg  
Old 11-19-2010, 09:08 AM
SMH
Tourer
Default Not bad

I had them on my old SG. Seemed to be solid bags and never had any kind of trouble with them at all.