Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag strap issue on Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I used 1/4" plywood, cut to the lip of the bag and velcroed to the underside of the lid; straps remain the same length, cost: nada.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:02 AM
piperbob
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Take the bags to a shoe repairer, they could modify the straps any way you want.

Bob
97 Heritage

Old 06-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Actually, I think this would be a cool mod idea anyway: put a sleeve bolt (not Chicago down here!) in there or some studs. Might as well make it look good as functional.
Now who was it said they had a stud kit...?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:08 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with mine. Didn't have anything to do with the saggy bags kit though as I used that as well.

I used velcro. I just bought some velcro that has the sticky tape on one side and the velcro on the other and stuck one side piece to the leather strap and the side piece to the plastic clip. Put the strap in the loop and press the two velcro halves together. Never had a problem since and it's still easy to get in the bags. When the velcro or if the velcro wears out just replace with new. Mine hasn't yet though and it's been 2 years now.

Pretty cheap fix really. You can buy the velcro in a long strip and cut it to your length. Keep the rest around for replacement.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

NONONONO NO! You must spend at least $200.00 or more to properly fix a Harley Davidson! Don't you know the HarleyRubRider's creed?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:53 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
NONONONO NO! You must spend at least $200.00 or more to properly fix a Harley Davidson! Don't you know the HarleyRubRider's creed?
Damn... but I didn't opt for that extended plan with Harley when I bought the bike... guess the salesman forgot to tell me and missed out on that commission.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:36 AM
brickie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well one things for sure and that is there is no lack of McGuivers on this forum (hehe). Some really cool ideas. I'll have to ponder on which to try. Thanks for your input guys.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:35 PM
rcc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Velcro is really cheap.

Ron

Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Heritage123
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lionsqrne
I had the same problem with mine. Didn't have anything to do with the saggy bags kit though as I used that as well.

I used velcro. I just bought some velcro that has the sticky tape on one side and the velcro on the other and stuck one side piece to the leather strap and the side piece to the plastic clip. Put the strap in the loop and press the two velcro halves together. Never had a problem since and it's still easy to get in the bags. When the velcro or if the velcro wears out just replace with new. Mine hasn't yet though and it's been 2 years now.

Pretty cheap fix really. You can buy the velcro in a long strip and cut it to your length. Keep the rest around for replacement.
I did that but I could not get the velcro to stick to the back side of the leather strap. To coarse. I may try gluing it to the strap...

Old 06-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Heritage123
Cruiser

Originally Posted by keno
I used a chrome flathead screw and acorn nut at the bottom of the strap. Works great and blends in with the chrome studs. Looks like it came this way.

Do you happen to have a pic?

Quick Reply: Saddlebag strap issue on Heritage