Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone Upgraded their Head Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:39 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Has Anyone Upgraded their Head Lights?

Head light and spots on my bike are kind of wimpy. It is easy to over drive them even at moderate speeds on a country road.
I have been looking at HID kits where you install the ballast in the head light cone. Has anyone ever used one of these kits?
1) Which kit did you use?
2) How difficult was it to install?
3) How well did it work?

I was also looking at up-rated bulbs for my spots. I think the OEM bulbs are 30 watts. I was looking at 60 and 80 watts. Can the softail electrical system handle the extra load?
Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 06-22-2010, 06:42 AM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

Don't know about the spots, but I read on another forum that a guy was using a ostram 80/100 watt bulb in the headlight with great success. Since I was having the same problem you are I thought I would give it a try. Been using it all year with no problems. That is the best change I have made to my bike (safety wise). It lights up the side of the road 10X what the stock bulbs did. Just have to make sure you adjust properly or you will blind everyone.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Bjc7Jr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum......first post actually. I just put an HID system in my Night Train. I used the H4 HiLo kit from DDM Tuning, they traditionally make accessories for BMW and Porsche but they make really affordable HID's. They're brighter than any bulb, the ballasts are slim and can pretty much be tucked anywhere. I've done 2 other bikes as well and same result. Look into it, I think I payed around $60 bucks for mine, which is amazing compared to Harley. You might want to get a projector lens, I didn't but some might want to. Good luck

Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running an ostram 55/100 in my old FXSTC. Still using the stock H4 in my Rocker though.
Welcome to the forums, Bjc7Jr. I need to read up on HID, though I haven't felt a need to upgrade yet.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 AM
wildrooster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put an hid kit in my triumph several years ago with a real easy $50 kit. I used it once or twice before I ditched it. I went back and put in a silver star bulb and a headlight flasher.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Save your money on the HID. I went with a PIAA Super Plasma bulb.
http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H4.html
I also wired my Auxiliary lights to stay on with the high beams. I swapped out the stock 27 watt auxiliary light bulbs for 35 watt Sylvania Silver Stars. I light up the road big time now. HID does look cool at night, I will give it that.

Last edited by Rockyriver; 06-22-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

I have heard of others using the BMW light with sucess but have no personal experience. I am going to do something, too!

C#

Old 06-22-2010, 09:06 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bjc7Jr
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum......first post actually. I just put an HID system in my Night Train. I used the H4 HiLo kit from DDM Tuning, they traditionally make accessories for BMW and Porsche but they make really affordable HID's. They're brighter than any bulb, the ballasts are slim and can pretty much be tucked anywhere. I've done 2 other bikes as well and same result. Look into it, I think I payed around $60 bucks for mine, which is amazing compared to Harley. You might want to get a projector lens, I didn't but some might want to. Good luck
DDM Tuning is a standup company. Jim Powell (the owner) is a great guy.
$40 for an HID kit is pretty good, and if I remember correctly, the bulbs are lifetime warranty.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...rcycle-HID-Kit

Old 06-22-2010, 09:13 PM
bwest3
Advanced

I had HID's on my last bike by Philips and loved them!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 AM
Bjc7Jr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ElSupremo
DDM Tuning is a standup company. Jim Powell (the owner) is a great guy.
$40 for an HID kit is pretty good, and if I remember correctly, the bulbs are lifetime warranty.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...rcycle-HID-Kit
Yes they are, and its not only a lifetime warranty on the bulbs, its on all components. How can ya go wrong?? I have them in my Yukon and placed side by side with a friends truck with silver stars, it blows them away.

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Upgraded their Head Lights?