Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Wanna Trade For Louder Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010 | 03:24 PM
kharne
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have to remove the pipes to install the baffles? I'm just wondering since I'm going to be installing new pipes soon. I was planning on trying the stock baffles and then getting the quiet ones only if I think it needs it.

Old 06-22-2010 | 04:35 PM
County98
Tourer

Originally Posted by stevieg
Thanks guys for the responses. I forgot to mention that I have the "quiet baffles" and they're not quiet. I've also heard about smartpartz who I've talked to. I think they're in SoCal as well. I was frustrated because I'd just gone on a ride and my ears were still ringing. I'm beginning to suspect that a lot of it has to do with the tune. I had short shots on my Dyna with about the same setup and it wasn't loud at all and I figured with the longer pipes it would be quieter.
You've got longer pipes, with quiet baffles, that exit under your saddlebag behind you, and they seem louder than short shots?

My wife has short shots on her Nightster and they're loud as hell.

I would have been reommending quiet baffles also. Are you sure they're in there? (Only asking in case you didn't install 'em yourself, not trying to be funny)

Not sure what advice to offer other than maybe a nice 2-1. I have a Propipe that while maybe not MUCH db quieter, has a way more mellow deep tone.

Old 06-22-2010 | 04:52 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kharne
Do you have to remove the pipes to install the baffles? I'm just wondering since I'm going to be installing new pipes soon. I was planning on trying the stock baffles and then getting the quiet ones only if I think it needs it.
It depends on which pipes you have. The BSS allow you to get to the baffles pretty easily. However the longer they're in there, the harder they are to get out. You have to hit them a little to break off the deposits.

Old 06-22-2010 | 07:28 PM
screamin softail
Road Master

I just put those on my CVO Softail and love them. Maybe all the Led Zeppelin I listened to in my youth has decreased my audible range in middle age.

Old 06-22-2010 | 10:38 PM
stevieg
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by County98
You've got longer pipes, with quiet baffles, that exit under your saddlebag behind you, and they seem louder than short shots?

My wife has short shots on her Nightster and they're loud as hell.

I would have been reommending quiet baffles also. Are you sure they're in there? (Only asking in case you didn't install 'em yourself, not trying to be funny)

Not sure what advice to offer other than maybe a nice 2-1. I have a Propipe that while maybe not MUCH db quieter, has a way more mellow deep tone.
Yep. I had a Streetbob that came with Short Shots and I had the quiet baffles installed as well as a Power Commander and a K&N A/C. Didn't seem all that loud. So, when I decided to get the Big Shots I went with a Power Commander and a Big Sucker and thought, being further back they'd be quieter and the Indy swears they put in the quiet baffles. I wear plugs and it's louder than sh*t. Love the look but I ride for about an hour and I'm beat. So, as you can tell, I'm frustrated. I'm thinking about doing the Smartzpartz but then I'd have to buy the stock V&H baffles because they don't work with quiet baffles (honest). I guess the cheapest would be to try the Double Barrel baffles but somebody on another thread said they sounded like a fart through a paper bag or something like that.....I'm confused......I want a nice low rumble without the headache....

Old 06-22-2010 | 10:48 PM
chop09
Tourer

Cut your losses and go with a set of longer samson pipes (Ex. fishtails) you'll get that low rumble you want

Old 06-22-2010 | 11:28 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

just go listen to some double barrels and then decide.