Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail78

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 PM
softail78
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default softail78

how do i now if my 2010 heritage softail has the factory security system. I dont have any fobs,but the red key lights up on the speedo befor starting the bike. The dealer didnt give me any fobs upon deliverery and i didnt think much of it untill i started reading the owners manuel. Im thinking that this is an option and the bike is pre wired for the system but i dont understand why the light comes on befor starting if not equipted with system.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Sgt Sportster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you dont have any Fobs and the bike still starts you probably don't have it. If the Fob isn't within about 5 feet of the bike it wont start. Also when you turn off the bike the turn signals will flash twice when the system arms itself.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:25 PM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's just a bulb check - the reason it comes on when you turn on the ignition. And yes, it is an option. I bought my bike used and wanted the security system so I got one, and then on the install, I found out that the bike already had one it, I just didn't have the fob.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:26 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

If it had the security system installed, It will not start without a fob. The one exception is disarming it by putting in the pin number. The system rearms when the bike is turned off.

The security system quit communicating with my fob this week. It is a pain to keep inputting the pin number to start the bike.

The fobs are okay. It is the antenna and or the system module. The antenna is attached to the top of the fuse box. It is about 1/2 X 1/2 by 3 inch long. The wires go down to behind the plastic fender extension. It is easy to reach by taking the two 7/16 bolts at the base and pushing the extension up off the tab that holds the top to the frame then pull it down. There is enough room then between the wheel and the module to pull it out. The security module replaces the turn signal/lean sensor module and does all three functions.

The little key light comes on even if you don't have the system as it is part of the prewiring.

I would like to find out if the security system can be deleted just by putting in the regular turn signal/lean module. I have not found the security system to be worth it's price. My 07 FXSTC came with the bike. I picked it over one that did not have it. It is a Delphi system and it failed at 4 years of operation.

It was a $350 option then and $370 now. Having the signals flash madly and the motor won't start does little to stop the crooks from picking it up and throwing it into a van. It might even make it more fun for them.

Last edited by lh4x4; 06-20-2010 at 11:39 PM.