Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket muffler and air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:19 PM
cornstalk
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket muffler and air cleaner

I purchased a 2008 Heritage Classic with 3" Rush slip ons and high flow air filter. I have rode it 3000 miles, has little bluing on the pipes and minimal popping at deaccelaration, some things I have read says that a tuner is required, some say the factory computer will take care of the changes, kinda of like you change a muffler and air filter on a new truck, the computer takes care of everything. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

You have to get it tuned. You are running too lean and too hot.

You can get away with after market pipes and original air filter, that the onboard computer can handle, but change pipes and air filter, you need a tune, otherwise you run the risk of damaging your engine.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:06 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Others may disagree, but my experience has been that the computer (ECM) can compensate for slip-ons only. A high-flow air cleaner, full exhaust change, or air cleaner and exhaust (slip-ons or full system) requires assistance from a fuel management system or tune.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:47 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky
Others may disagree, but my experience has been that the computer (ECM) can compensate for slip-ons only. A high-flow air cleaner, full exhaust change, or air cleaner and exhaust (slip-ons or full system) requires assistance from a fuel management system or tune.

Welcome to the forum.
I agree with Mr. Lucky. If you already added an A/C and your pieps are bluing your bike is running too hot. get a power commander or some other sort of tuner to cool it down a bit. It will run far batter witha simple add on like this. I disagree those who say you can add an a/c and pipes without a tuner.

Drew

Old 06-22-2010, 07:30 PM
cornstalk
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power commander?

I have been told I need a power commander because of Rush slip ons and high flow filter. How do you know which one to buy? Are they pre programmed? I am really not sure if I have a high flow air filter. I have a factory Harley air cover but the black housing on the back side has been removed. I bought the bike this way. Is this considered a high flow filter? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!