Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Matter Of Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Jason H.
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Matter Of Opinion

Hello all! It's been a LONG time since I've posted on the Forums but now I am back riding and wanted to get back into the groove. I recently purchased a 2006 Softail Deluxe and I am interested in updating the pipes on it. I BELIEVE it currently has a set of S.E. slip ons but I'm looking for something with better sound & appearance.

I've searched through the forums and come up with a few different options but I am hoping to get opinions from you guys since you are the experts. I tried adding a poll but couldn't figure it out so figure I will just list the ones I am considering -

V&H - Big Shots Staggered
V&H - Big Shots Long
V&H - Long Shots HS

I am wary of the longer pipes because I saw on another thread that they tend to blue up around the middle so I'm leaning towards the Staggered pipes but again, looking for opinions! I added a picture of the bike for reference (want to try and keep the retro-ish look of it) but please keep that in mind when offering info. I'm interested in the deep, throaty growl that we all love about our Harley's but not something that is TOO obnoxious. Had a set of V&H Big Radius on my 2005 FB and loved the sound/appearance (which is why I'm sticking with V&H) but I don't think they would look right on this bike. Thanks in advance for the help!

Jason

Attached Thumbnails A Matter Of Opinion-img_0498a.jpg  
Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Get the big shot longs. As long as you get a tuner they will not blue. Several of my buddies have these and there are no bluing issues. The ones you see that are blued are the long shots as opposed to the big shot longs. Everyone has the BSS. Blueing happens from an extremely lean running bike. A fuelpak or power commander will keep that from happening. And yes, I can get it all for you at discounted forum pricing.

Drew

Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 AM
jed1069
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the big shots long. They look great on Deluxes.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:34 AM
mke125125
Road Captain

in my humble opinion the big shot long or dual fihtails look best on the retro lux. beautiful color bike,congrats.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally i would go True Duals but then again that is me personally, having to pick from your list I would say the BSS

Old 06-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Jason H.
Cruiser

I DID consider true duals with fishtail ends but I backed away from that. If I do that I would probably have to add apes to it then next thing you know I will have a goattee and I'll be skipping work to go riding! The horror!

I saw another thread earlier today very similar to the question I asked and there were a few good points brought up. A few people mentioned that with the BSLs the pipes could scrape on right turns, especially when carrying a passenger. My girl and I have a few extra pounds between us so that is something to consider.

Difference in sound seems to be in some dispute but as always, it's a matter of personal preference. For the BSLs, the pipes are longer and therefore the sound SHOULD be lower for ME if not my neighbors or cars/bikes next to me. I don't ride like an idiot so I'm not constantly blasting through the neighborhood or anything like that but if it DOES get too loud I can always put in the quiter baffles...

I will watch this thread until I leave just to see how it plays out but I'm dropping it off tonight to get the work done. 15,000 mile service, new inspection and a new set of pipes (still not sure which). Thanks again for the input all! Keep it coming!

Old 06-15-2010, 12:40 PM
04Springer
Advanced

Depending on the look you want to go with..I would say either BS Longs or something like Sampson Cholos

Old 06-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Tucson_Tim
Tourer

I have to agree. My 08 Deluxe:

Old 06-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

My wife has long shots on her 02 FB and no blueing issues. They sound great, nice and low rumble with a deep tone.

Shakey

Old 06-15-2010, 02:47 PM
07Fatty
Tourer

Originally Posted by mke125125
in my humble opinion the big shot long or dual fihtails look best on the retro lux. beautiful color bike,congrats.
+1 on duals but im biased

Quick Reply: A Matter Of Opinion